Community Activities Day
Saturday 13 September, 11am-5pm
Lancaster University is turning 50 and to celebrate we are inviting everyone onto campus to see for yourselves the great things that happen here at the University.
Come along to our Community Activities Day on Saturday 13 September, 11am to 5pm, and experience a whole host of fun, free and interactive activities for adults and children: from public lectures with our top academics to musical workshops for babies.
The full programme of activities for the day is now available. Take a look through so that you can plan your day. You can pick up a printed copy when you arrive on the day. Please note that activities may be subject to change.
A small number of activities are available to book in advance, either online at our Eventbrite page or on the day at the Learning Zone and LICA welcome points, if spaces are still available.
These events are as follows. Please see the programme for full details of each. Please note, a number of these activities are now sold out, but don't worry, there are more than 80 other activities that you can drop into on the day! Online ticket sales close at 2pm on Friday 13 September.
- Cello babies: a musical workshop for babies and toddlers (0 to 2 years) – 11:30am, 1pm and 3pm
- Scary monsters, cute creatures, strange aliens: a clay modelling art session for children (7 to 11 years) – 12pm to 1pm
- Introduction to life drawing (over 18s only) – 2pm to 3pm
- Writing lives: making a living as a writer – 3pm to 4pm
- Chinese Games and puzzles – 11am to 11:50am
- Learn Mandarin: families – 2pm to 2:30pm
- Learn Mandarin: adults – 2:30pm to 3pm
- Chinese painting (age 12+) – 3pm to 4:30pm
- Teddy Bear's picnic (age 2+) – 12pm to 2pm
- Tour our Physics labs (age 8+) – for one hour starting at 2:30pm, 3pm and 3:30pm
- Sustainability Tour: explore our green campus – on the hour for 20 minutes throughout the day
Here's a quick snapshot of what else is taking place on the day. Please see the programme for all other events, times, locations and age ranges.
- Catch a killer with forensic linguistics: help solve a murder case through forensic linguistics
- Ebola – is it coming here? Hear from our expert
- Kids: try your hand at drawing with renowned local artist, Chas Jacobs
- Try DIY DNA extraction from a strawberry using everyday equipment
- Learn about the impact of the First World War on Lancaster
- Find out about how Lancaster is represented within writing about the Lake District
- From common man to Iron Man – Librarian Andy Holgate shares his story
- Funny Business: Invent and market your own drink, design your dream business and much more with our Management School
- Watch our demonstration of 3D printing
- Take part in our mock outbreak of an infectious disease
- Examine the causes and consequences of criminal behaviour in our law class
- Guess how much sugar, fat and salt is in your food and measure your heart rate with our medical students
- Try your hand at new sporting activities at our sports centre including kids' tag rugby and football and free swimming sessions
- Visit the teddy bears hospital
- Unfortunately, our Chancellor, Sir Chris Bonington is no longer able to speak on the day so his lecture on conquering Everest, from 3:45pm to 4:45pm is no longer taking place. Sorry for any inconvenience.
Free parking is available on campus throughout the day. Unfortunately no dogs are allowed on site.
We look forward to seeing you there.