Lancaster University research recognised as 'world leading'
Lancaster University's research has been recognised as world leading in the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF) which assesses the quality and impact of research submitted by UK universities across all subjects
Lancaster is ranked 13th for the percentage of world leading research out of the 128 institutions listed and 18th in the UK overall.
- 83% of Lancaster's research is internationally excellent and world leading
- 35% of Lancaster's research is 'world leading' - the highest marker of quality
Some key areas of research are ranked particularly highly:
- Politics, Philosophy and Religion at Lancaster has been ranked 3rd overall and ranked top in the UK for research impact
- Business and Management - 1st in the UK at Lancaster when ranked for research power and 1st for the number of research active staff, showing LUMS to be the leading research intensive management school in the UK.
- Sociology ranked 3rd for world leading research and 2nd for research impact
- Maths and Statistics ranked 5th overall and 3rd for research impact
- Computing and Communications is ranked 7th in the UK for world-leading and internationally excellent research and 12th overall
- English Language and Literature has been ranked 3rd in terms of research power, behind only Oxford and Cambridge.
Lancaster is ranked 20th overall for impact - meaning research which has particular reach and significance. Lancaster has also been recognised for its vibrant research environment. This includes the strong support for researchers, the opportunities for cross disciplinary research and its excellent links with other research institutions worldwide.
Business and industry are key to Lancaster's mission to produce applied knowledge and top graduates. Lancaster works with more than 1,000 businesses per year and we have received the maximum HEIF funding in recognition of our success