The Dukes Theatre
The Dukes is a theatre in Lancaster, Lancashire producing a variety of professional live theatre and also showing mainstream and cultural cinema screenings. The Dukes’ Creative Learning Department designs and delivers work for children, young people and the community in both formal, informal and developmental contexts.
Skill set required
- Ability to engage with young people from a wide range of backgrounds and experiences
- Ability to plan, develop and maintain a range of education activities
- Knowledge of arts education sector
- Excellent communicator
- Able to work independently
- Assisted with the design and delivery of creative learning activities/projects attached to the Dukes ‘home grown’ programme
- Delivered creative learning community workshops for schools, partner organisations and clients
- Supported the Creative Learning Director in project development and management
- Supported the Creative Learning Director with researching applicable funding streams and compiling monitoring information for existent funders
The total cost for this placement was £3600 and this was partly funded by Santander SME Internship Programme and partly funded by Lancaster University and The Dukes.
Jack Heaton, is now in full time employment with The Dukes, working in both the Marketing and Creative Learning departments. He now manages the day to day running of The Dukes social media campaigns and is the Assistant Director for our Young Company’s forthcoming production of Hamlet. The Lancaster University students The Dukes have worked with have had an excellent impact on the company, reaching far beyond the bounds of the success of the individual departments in which they were originally based.
I undertook a placement through FASS at The Dukes Theatre in Lancaster as their Creative Learning Assistant. This was the perfect step for me graduating in 2014. It helped solve the graduate catch 22 of all jobs needing you to have experience but not being able to get any experience because all jobs need experience! The placement lasted three months and the fact that it's paid really helps you make your first step into permanent employment. The Dukes was a perfect match for me as I had a degree in Theatre Studies from Lancaster and had admired the department's engagement work for a while as a student. My placement was very varied including all of the following: writing scripts for projects, writing funding bids, general administration, assisting in delivery of youth theatre sessions, working with people with learning disabilities, cycling from London to Paris with the Lancashire Youth Challenge and much more! The placement really helped me clarify that I want to work in the arts and gave me invaluable experience. The placement lead to full time employment at The Dukes and as of March 2016 I will be working at Paines Plough in London. This career path started with my FASS placement!