Improving young people’s mental health and wellbeing is a worldwide priority. We believe that for improving the current situation, young people themselves can be the main innovators and their passion for digital technologies is a great opportunity
That is why, we plan to conduct a pilot study in Lent term 2017 which gives this opportunity to young people to learn some design skills and develop innovative design concepts for mental health mobile apps.
What are the benefits of participating in the study?
- You will learn design skills such as idea generation, idea evaluation and prototyping which enable you to use design thinking as a problem solving tool in your future career.
- You will receive a certificate of participation at the end of a study which shows the skills you have learned
- You will be eligible for earning 10 Lancaster Award points as an incentive
- And you will contribute to improving young people’s wellbeing and mental health!
Who can participate?
Lancaster University students aged between 18 and 20 years old with the exception of:
- Students who has chosen design as their minor or major course
- Students who have or had diagnosis of mental health problems.
We will take the first ten who volunteer and consent. If some participants withdraw from the study, we will contact people again when main study is in process to see if they are interested in participating.
What will I be doing in the study?
You will participate in
- A three week diary study in which we need at least 15 diary entries. You also need to attend two follow up group meetings in the three week period. Each meeting is maximum one hour long.
- Six workshops between March 2017 and June 2017. Duration of each workshop is 2 hours and you do not need any prior skills or preparation for attending these workshops. The first workshop will be held after completion of the diary study. We will find the best time slots and dates according to the availability of all participants. In workshops you will learn and use basic design skills to design innovative mental health app concepts.
Interested in participating? Any questions?
Please contact us and we will send you a participation information sheet and a copy of the consent form with more details about the study and data protection policy. This will give you more information about the study so you can make your final decision. We are also happy to answer your questions.