There are a number of online courses and MOOCs available which can help your career development. These can be accessed free of charge.
Lancaster University is one of the partners working with FutureLearn to provide a range of online learning courses.
Courses are delivered one step at a time, and are accessible on mobile, tablet and desktop.
Examples of courses that have been made available include:
- Innovation: the Key to Business Success - Commercial innovation, how innovations emerge, how ideas become reality.
- Developing your Research Project - This guides you step-by-step.
- How to Succeed at Writing Applications - Helps you produce a perfect CV, application and online profile.
- How to Succeed at Interviews - Provides the tools you need to succeed at interviews and land your dream job or course place.
Check the full list of the courses which is available through this link to see what is currently on offer.
You can also register with FutureLearn to hear about new courses and their start dates.
Numeracy Skills for Employability and the Workplace
Improve your mathematical confidence and gain the skills to pass employers’ numeracy tests with this free online course.
About the course
In our highly technical world numeracy skills, particularly the ability to interpret data, are becoming increasingly important and are highly sought after by employers.
A lack of mathematical confidence and poor numeracy skills are barriers to employment as numeracy tests are increasingly part of the recruitment process, often early on.
Many people feel that they just simply “cannot do maths” yet the need to process numbers is a skill that we all need not just for employment but in our everyday lives.
This course is open to anyone with a basic understanding of mathematics. It is suitable if you are:
- applying for work placements or internships
- applying for employment
- applying for a course that requires you to pass numeracy skills tests
- in employment seeking promotion or wishing to upskill
- anyone who wishes to refresh their knowledge of numeracy
- anyone who wishes to improve their mathematical confidence for everyday life.
If it has been some time since you last used any numeracy skills you may need to spend longer working through the materials. The course is particularly suitable for those who have not had the opportunity to practice quantitative skills since school.