This research can also be an essential part of your preparation for applications and interviews.
Job profiles may include:
- Job description and activities.
- Entry requirements.
- Typical employers/vacancy sources.
- Contacts and resources.
- Target Jobs: Job Descriptions – what the job involves, the qualifications and skills needed.
- Prospects: Types of Jobs – over 400 graduate job profiles.
- National Careers Service: Job Profile Search – everything you need to know about a wide range of careers.
A range of careers videos are available through the Knowledge Bank.
In addition to video titles covering such topics such as assessment centres, effective applications etc; resources from i-could and Career Player can give a valuable insight into a range of career options.
Careers idea generators
These web based applications can help you look at options based on your skills and interests.
- Target Jobs: Careers Report - interactive career planning tool that will help you get started on your job hunt. Register with Target Jobs to access this application.
- Prospects Planner – an exploration tool for students and graduates.
Each year a number of our graduates become self-employed, some building on business ideas they develped whilst a student.
Lancaster University Students Union offers an advice service if you are considering setting up in business.
Other sources of information include:
- HMRC, Starting your own Business - an e-learning course concerning tax, National Insurance, business records etc.
- Brightside, start-up loans - access to funding, support and a business mentor.
- Direct Gov. Start your own business - information from the government website.