Your CV or application form should evidence your skills and experience that relate to the job for which you are applying.
The cover letter gives you the opportunity to show your enthusiasm and suitability for the opportunity.
A good cover letter will help you stand out from other applicants.
- Address your cover letter to a named person. Make it personal, you could be working for them! Avoid generic 'To whom it may concer' or 'Dear Hiring Manager' etc.
- Do not repeat what you have already said in your CV or application form. An effective cover letter adds something extra to the application.
- Do not state the obvious. This is your opportunity to stand out, not blend in with all the other applicants.
- Keep it short and focus on the employer and the job opportunity. Demonstrate that you understand their needs and why you are a suitable candidate.
- End with a positive closing paragraph. The 'call to action' is for the employer to short-list you for an interview.
- If you are submitting your application electronically, send files in PDF format.
We have a guide 'How to write a covering letter' which you can download from the Knowledge Bank.
Plus videos and other resources to help you impvove your applications, interview skills etc.
Access the Knowledge Bank using your normal student ID and password.