Leadership Development Opportunity - Frontrunner
GLOBAL LEADER EXPERIENCE FOR UNIVERSITY STUDENTS
GLOBAL LEADER EXPERIENCE FOR UNIVERSITY STUDENTS
What if the world’s greatest challenges were in your hands? Join a Global Leader Experience for university students and develop your leadership skills to help influence the future of the world, as well as establish a global network.
Bursaries are available for eligible students towards the cost of travel and subsistence
- FREE 4 day course delivered in London by Common Purpose –an organisation that has delivered Frontrunner Leadership Courses at Lancaster University for the last 3 years with great feedback from students
- Location: London 13 –16th June
- Gain real and practical experiences including visits to organisations (see below)
- Develop new friendships and professional networks
- Meet and work with people from a diverse range of backgrounds
- Develop your skills and cultural intelligence
- Boost your confidence
- Build your CV – add a valuable experience that employers are seeking
During the four days, you will direct your own learning, speaking to leaders from and visiting organisations such as:
- Foreign and Commonwealth Office
- Goldman Sachs
- DLA Piper
- International Red Cross
- London Fire Brigade
- Brunswick Group LLP
This course is FREE but students have to meet the cost of travel, accommodation and subsistence.
A limited number of bursaries of up to £500 towards the cost of travel, accommodation and subsistence are available to eligible undergraduate UK students who are from under-represented groups in higher education; these bursaries are funded through Lancaster University Office for Fair Access Funding (OFFA).
- Students with a disability including specific learning difficulties
- Students with a mental health issue like anxiety or depression
- Mature students
- Students who are the first generation in their family to attend higher education
- Students in receipt of a Lancaster University Bursary
- Students who are care leavers
How to apply?
- Complete the Common Purpose Online application found here; this is a competitive programme so make sure that you make a good application. The closing date for applications to Common Purpose is midnight on the 30th May 2016.
If you need help completing the Common Purpose application form contact Careers@Lancaster.ac.uk
Complete an application for Lancaster University Bursary funding by completing the form found here Application for Funding for Common Purpose Course and return to email@example.com by midnight on the 30th May 2016.
Following the success of Frontrunner courses in 2014 and 2015, Lancaster University is offering a FRONTRUNNER LEADERSHIP COURSE from the 13th – 15th April 2016.
If you would like to know more about Frontrunner there are Insight into Frontrunner information sessions on the 28th January and the 4th February from 12.00 – 13.00 which include a free lunch.
Please book via TARGETconnect here
91% of participants of the course in 2015 scored the programme as excellent value of time; participants said:
“This programme has greatly helped me with confidence, I learnt a great deal from a new environment and being with diverse people”
“It has shown me that I am capable of more than I believed and have achieved more than I understand throughout my life”
“I have further developed my skills in approaching, talking to and influencing people. I feel the growth in personal confidence and gained important thoughts on leadership”
Frontrunner is delivered by Common Purpose, an independent international leadership organisation and provides an opportunity to:
- Develop your confidence and networking skills
- Explore the nature of leadership
- Meet leaders from the private, public and third sectors
- Visit an organisation in the Lancaster Area on the 2nd day
- Network with fellow students and potential employers
- Become a member of the Common Purpose alumni network
- Enhance your CV
- Fulfil a requirement of the Lancaster Award
The programme includes all lunches and transport to the organisational visit on day 2.
Students who complete a Frontrunner Leadership Course are invited to join the Common Purpose online alumni network allowing them to network with fellow Frontrunner alumni as well as alumni from senior leaders’ courses around the world.
Who can apply?
The course is open to undergraduate and postgraduate students and is funded through Lancaster University Office for Fair Access Funding (OFFA); the closing date for applications is Monday 29th February.
Priority will be given to applicants who feel that they have faced significant challenges during their time at university; this might include
- Managing a disability including specific learning difficulties
- Managing a mental health issue like anxiety or depression
- Trying to build self-confidence and self-esteem
- Adapting to student life as a mature student, care leaver, or student from a different culture or ethnic origin
- Trying to integrate in to the university community as an off campus student
- Adapting to university life as the first member of your family to come to university
- Struggling with study skills having entered university with non-traditional subjects like a BTEC Diploma
If you are interested in the course and do not meet one of the above criteria you are still encouraged to apply as there are 40 places available on the course. In previous years we have been able to open up the criteria to all students to fill the available places.