Understanding Leadership and Management
- What is leadership? What is management?
- Leadership and management: current debates and issues in relation to the challenges of your own role
- Social and ethical challenges for management and leadership in changing organisational contexts; managing with integrity
- Organisation culture, values, power – impact on expectations and behaviours of leadership and management
- Understanding your own leadership style, behaviours, habits
- Evaluating your own strengths and development needs in the context of management and leadership
- Developing authentic leadership effectiveness – aligning your approach to fit with organisational current and future needs
On completion of the course you will understand different perceptions of effective leadership and management and be able to examine the effectiveness of leadership and management in the context of your own organisation. You will be able to devise a strategy for your own personal leadership development to help you to address the current challenges of your role.
Duration, attendance and delivery
The course usually lasts approximately 10 weeks.
The delivery of this module is through our online+ model for distance learning consisting of online learning, self-study, reflection, discussion and sharing learning with and from others, application of learning to your organisational context and the completion of assessment tasks. There is also the opportunity for students who value face-to-face workshops to attend optional themed workshops.
At the end of the course you will undertake an assessment. This is an applied work based assessment rather than a theory based essay. This means that typically you will be required to apply what you have learnt to your context at work, evaluating concepts for their applicability and usefulness.
The assessment format may be a reflective account, a project report, a presentation or portfolio of evidence; all being the equivalent of 2000 words in length.
You will need to be in a work role (paid or unpaid) which allows you the scope to put the concepts learned into practice. There are no formal qualification requirements for entry; we assess suitability on each individual application.