Understanding Leadership and Management
- What is leadership? What is management?
- Leadership and management: current debates and issues in relation to the challenges of your own role
- Social and ethical challenges for management and leadership in changing organisational contexts; managing with integrity
- Organisation culture, values, power – impact on expectations and behaviours of leadership and management
- Understanding your own leadership style, behaviours, habits
- Evaluating your own strengths and development needs in the context of management and leadership
- Developing authentic leadership effectiveness – aligning your approach to fit with organisational current and future needs
On completion of the course you will understand different perceptions of effective leadership and management and be able to examine the effectiveness of leadership and management in the context of your own organisation. You will be able to devise a strategy for your own personal leadership development to help you to address the current challenges of your role.
Duration, attendance and delivery
The course usually lasts approximately 10 weeks. The blended learning structure consists of online learning, workshops, tutorials, self-study, reflection, application of learning at work and the completion of assessment tasks.
At the end of the course you will undertake an assessment. This is a work based assessment rather than a theory based essay. Typically you will be required to apply what you have learnt to your practice, evaluating concepts for their applicability and usefulness.
The assessment format may be a written exercise, in-class presentation, project report or another appropriate method. A written piece would be around 2000 words in length.
You will need to be in a work role (paid or unpaid) which allows you the scope to put the concepts learned into practice. There are no formal qualification requirements for entry; we assess suitability on each individual application. Please contact us if you would like further details.