The Lancaster China Catalyst programme aims to exploit the global links of Lancaster University for the benefit of UK companies. From 2014-2017, with initial investment from the Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE), Lancashire County Council and participating businesses, the programme will provide:
- A staged programme of support to UK companies to develop partnerships with commercial partners in China
- UK company access to collaborative partners within China for new product and service development
- A programme of planned visits for UK companies to China and Chinese-partner visits to the UK
- Dedicated human resources to companies via an experienced UK and China-based support team
- A dedicated team of graduates with technology, management and design expertise
- An opportunity for recent graduates to form part of an international team and study for an MSc in International Innovation
- Access for UK companies and their Chinese partners, to significant grant investment from Chinese government funders
- Access to expertise from across Lancaster University and Chinese academic partners to underpin product or service R&D and commercialisation
Benefits for Business
Recognising both the challenge and the opportunity for UK and Chinese businesses in commercialising products, services and technologies for global markets, the Lancaster China Catalyst Programme will provide UK companies with dedicated support worth over £70k to plan and develop an international collaborative R&D and commercialisation project with a Chinese partner.
It aims to enhance international innovation capacity, access a dedicated highly skilled postgraduate team resource, gain support from a programme team in the UK and China and potentially unlock significant amounts of grant funding from the Guangdong Provincial Department of Science and Technology (GDST).
The programme will take companies on a competitively focused, phased journey from initially investigating the Chinese market, to accelerating the level of engagement with Chinese partners through to actively collaborating with Chinese business partners on commercialisation projects. Over the course of this journey, UK companies will work on commercialisation plans to both adapt existing and develop new products, processes and services for the Chinese and/or global markets.
Benefits for Students
The programme will use the significant graduate talent available to the university from both the UK and China, to develop multi-disciplinary teams to support UK-Chinese company collaborative partnerships.
A new MSc in International Innovation will provide graduates with taught postgraduate provision and an extensive period of project-based work in both the UK and China, supported via a tax free bursary of £16,000 over the course of their study. Five schemes of study have been developed (engineering, environmental sciences, entrepreneurship, design and computing) tailored to the interests of recent graduates.
Benefits for the UK
The Lancaster China Catalyst Programme has been created by Lancaster University and part-funded by the Higher Education Funding Council for England's Catalyst Fund, the university and Lancashire County Council.
It aims to revitalise the UK's position in global export markets, create 240 jobs, help up to 400 UK businesses and boost the economy by £40m. Via significant funding from Lancashire County Council, the programme aims to ensure the economic impact of the programme is significant to Lancashire companies in terms of safeguarding and creating new jobs for people living in Lancashire.