Information for Businesses
The Lancaster China Catalyst Programme is a programme that comprises specific pre-planned elements or stages of support, which can be customised to individual company needs as the level of participation increases.
The programme will run in two cycles, the first one beginning in 2014 and the second one in 2015. Each cycle will last two years in total over all three stages.
We would encourage companies to participate in all three stages in order to be fully prepared for the opportunities and challenges that they will encounter on the journey. Companies that successfully complete each stage and provide clear evidence of the ambition, resource and global mind set to go further will be quality assessed to progress to the subsequent stage.
The programme will take companies on a competitively focused, journey from initially investigating the Chinese market, to accelerating the level of engagement with Chinese partners through to actively collaborating with Chinese business partners on the development of innovative products or services. Over the course of this journey, UK companies will work on R&D plans to adapt both existing and develop new products, processes and services for the Chinese and/or global markets leading to significant additional business revenue streams and new jobs created.
As a result of participating in the Lancaster China Catalyst Programme, UK companies will benefit from the following:
- Significant Return on Investment - we expect UK companies to generate new products, services and technologies for the Chinese and/or global markets, and to develop new business partnerships through joint ventures, licensing and other commercial arrangements. This will lead to significant additional revenues and new jobs created.
- New and Alternative Route into the Chinese and Global Markets through Collaborative R&D - through working collaboratively with Lancaster University experts and drawing on a highly skilled graduate resource team, UK companies will gain privileged access to a new and alternative network of Government and private sector contacts in China that would be otherwise difficult to access.
- Access to Substantial Chinese Match Funding - to support the development of new products, processes and technologies via the development of collaborative partnerships, UK companies will be able to access substantial amounts of Chinese match funding through their Chinese business partners in Guangdong.
- Bespoke Graduate Skillset to Shape and Resource Collaborative R&D Projects - UK companies will be able to help shape the kinds of graduates that they would like to see working for them on collaborative projects. These will be specifically relevant to their business needs and their potential future project requirements in China.
- Networking and Peer-to-Peer Learning To Maximise International Business Benefits - bespoke internationalisation and innovation capacity and capability building will be facilitated by experts in our business and management faculty. Companies will experience the continuous development of a like-minded and trusted cohort of business owners, managers and entrepreneurs with whom to share learning and experiences, thus maximising business benefits.
- Significant PR and Commercial Branding Benefits - from successfully participating in a high profile UK-China business development initiative supported by Lancaster University and its partners in the UK and China.
The content of each specific stage of support of the Lancaster China Catalyst Programme is outlined in more detail on support stages page.
With a vision to be a globally significant University, Lancaster University has a long history of successfully working with Chinese partners and with UK companies to support business innovation and growth both in the UK and internationally. Our experience is that doing business successfully in China means developing long term business relationships with Chinese partners, and demonstrating long-term commitment to the market place by working collaboratively for mutual benefit.
Lancaster University has signed a five year Memorandum of Understanding with the Guangdong Provincial Government and the Chinese Academy of Sciences, which aims to increase the level of partnerships between UK and Chinese technology small and medium size enterprises through collaborative research projects leading to the development and commercialisation of new products and services for global markets.
One of the key elements of this Memorandum of Understanding is the Lancaster China Catalyst Programme.