Lancaster University benefits from the most frequent campus - city centre bus service in the UK. There is a bus service to the city centre every 4 minutes during weekday term-time daytimes. Lancaster University is working closely in partnership with Stagecoach to deliver better bus services to the University. Thousands of students use the bus every day.
Staff bus use at the University has doubled since the Travel Plan was introduced in 2005. Over 22% of staff now commute to campus by bus. University staff can qualify for a free or heavily subsidised annual bus pass.
- Bus Timetables
- Bus Service Improvements from Sunday 16th February 2014
- Scheduled Coach Services from Lancaster University Underpass
- Bus Improvements for 2013/14
- UniRider Bus Passes
- Bus Travel for University Staff
- Other Information on Bus Services
Paper copies of these and other bus timetables are available from the reception areas in the Library and Students Union.
Stagecoach are making a number of bus service changes from Sunday 16th February 2014 that will largely be of benefit to students and staff of the University. Changes include:
- New 3A service to provide a direct link between the Railway Station and the University every 30mins Monday to Saturday.
- Service 41 (Preston-Morecambe) will divert onto campus to serve the Underpass and Alexandra Park every hour in both directions.
- Term-time bus services will extend during the first and last weeks of vacation periods to support students and staff travelling to campus in these periods.
- New Sunday service on Alexandra Park both in and out of term-times with Service 40 (Preston to Lancaster).
- Service 4 will no longer operate via the Railway Station in order to improve punctuality and reduce journey times.
Full details of the improvements including links to the new timetables are available on the Stagecoach website here.
A summary of the changes affecting specific University bus services is as follows:
|Service Number||Changes from 16th February|
|2||To be withdrawn for 2 weeks at Christmas and from mid-July to end of September with just some morning peak Service 2 journeys operating.|
|3A||Use of existing town to campus services to divert to serve the Railway Station and St. George's Quay to the University (replacing the X1). To operate every 30 minutes Monday to Saturday.|
|4||Railway Station route to be removed and former route reinstated.|
|X4||No change. Will continue to serve the Railway Station on Sundays in term-time.|
|40||New Sunday service on Alexandra Park both in and out of term-times (Preston to Lancaster). 06:40 journey from University to Lancaster withdrawn.|
|41||Services will divert onto campus to serve Sports Centre, Underpass and Alexandra Park 7 days/wk in and out of term time. To operate hourly in each direction.|
|42||Revised timetable for buses arriving in the morning. Services will also operate via Alexandra Park 7 days/wk in and out of term time.|
Please download our free leaflet in summary.
Megabus now operate excellent value daily scheduled coach services from the University underpass to destinations across the UK. Cities served direct from the underpass include Aberdeen, Bolton, Carlisle, Dundee, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Leeds, Leicester, London, Loughborough, Manchester, Milton Keynes, Perth, Rugby, Sheffield and Stirling. Prior booking is essential.
National Express continue to operate excellent value daily services from the underpass to Preston, Wigan, Birmingham, Milton Keynes, London, Carnforth, Kendal and destinations through Cumbria as far as Whitehaven. Prior booking is essential.
The Lancaster University / Stagecoach partnership is delivering the following bus service improvements for 2013/14:
- Further improvements to the underpass with extended lighting, provision of perched seating and a bus information screen.
- Continuation of subsidised staff bus travel at �0 p.a. (Grades 1 & 2) or �71 p.a. (Grades 3+).
For full details and timetables of the various service changes made by Stagecoach, please consult their website.
The Lancaster UniRider is a bus ticket, which is only available for students and staff attending Lancaster University and University of Cumbria (Lancaster Campus). It offers unlimited bus travel on all Stagecoach services in the Lancaster area. Students can apply for the Unirider bus pass from the main LUSU Reception with a Purple Card discount.
A Unirider South ticket is also available for subsidised staff uniriders, which is valid along the A6 bus corridor between Catterall, Garstang and Lancaster University.
University staff can apply for an annual Staff Unirider or annual Staff Unirider South ticket through Flexible Benefits with massive discounts! This must be done through annual enrolment for existing University staff.
- Staff on Grades 1-2 - FREE
- Staff on Grade 3+ - £71
Please note: staff can not have a parking permit and a free or subsidised bus pass in the same year.
For more information on the Flexible Benefits Scheme click here.
Feedback on Bus Services
In the first instance please contact the bus company or the Facilities Helpdesk on 93333 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Buses to the Lake District
555 to the Lake District - this service departs from Lancaster Bus Station.
Information for Coach Drivers
Click here to view a PDF document about coach drop-off and pick-up areas.