20th Capital of the Ducal Palace Lower Arcade
This, in Ruskinís final system, adopted from Selvatico (1847) p.128, and starting from the Ponte della Paglia, is the twentieth of the capitals of the Ducal Palace. Series of Capitals of Lower Arcade.
- Number in Ruskinís final system: 20
- Alternative number starting from Porta della Carta: 17
- Number, using Ruskinís final system, of related capital, earlier model or later copy: n/a
- Subject matter: Animals
- Leafage 1st Order: Notebook M2 p.95, and compare the division into rows in Plate XX at Works, 10.431. See Works, 11.276 for a list of the buildings from which the images at Plate XX are taken, and Works, 11.276-278 for a discussion of the development of the leafage of capitals.
- Date: c. 1350
- Notebook references: Notebook M2 p.95; Palace Book pp.18L and 18; Palace Book p.44
- Library Edition references: Works, 9.277; Works, 10.386; Works, 10.418-420; Works, 11.318; plate facing Works, 11.318.
|Detail of 1870s copy of 20th capital in its current state|
Bear with honeycomb and bees, side 8, left; Lion with stagís haunch, side 1, centre; Wolf with dead bird, side 2, left
[Version 0.05: May 2008]