Fire Safety Management Responsibilities
- The Vice-Chancellor, as Chief Executive Officer of the University, has overall responsibility to the University Council for the health and safety of all persons using University land or buildings for legitimate purposes.
- The University Secretary will normally act on his behalf. In addition, the Vice-Chancellor may delegate the authority for carrying out the health and safety policy to senior members of staff.
- The Vice Chancellor is the 'responsible person' as identified under Part 1 of the Regulatory Reform Fire Safety Order 2005.
Director of FacilitiesIs the delegated senior member of staff with regards to compliance with the Regulatory Reform Fire Safety Order 2005 for all premises under control of the University. The role of Facilities is to:
- Maintain the structural aspects of the fire precautions in buildings
- Liaise with the Building Control section of Lancaster City Council on new building work and modifications to existing buildings
- Arrange for the periodic maintenance of fire detection and alarm systems
- Arrange for the periodic maintenance of fire fighting equipment and plant
- Arrange for fire risk assessments of buildings to be undertaken and maintain the register relating to these.
Health and Safety Office
- Liaise with Facilities in the arrangement of fire risk assessments of all premises under control of the University.
- Carry out Health and Safety Audits which include Fire Safety Management
- Liaise with the Fire Service with regards to audits of the risk assessments under the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005.
- Provide fire safety training for new members of staff and students incorporating the actions to be taken in the event of fire.
- Provide training for security officers and porters on the use of the Evac Chair to evacuate persons with impaired mobility.
- Liaise with Facilities and the Fire Service on fire safety matters related to structural alterations to buildings and new building work, particularly where means of escape is involved
Heads of Departments / College Residences Officers / Head of Commercial Services
- Ensure that staff/students do not permit activities that would compromise the fire precautions in the department/college/bar.
- Liaise with other Heads of Department to agree procedures that do not compromise fire safety where space is shared
- Ensure that periodic inspections are undertaken in the space occupied by their department. A Fire Safety Checklist for Building Occupants is available to assist with the periodic inspection of premises. Fire Safety Checklist
- Ensure that the guidance on notice boards in corridors is implemented. Noticeboards and Fire Safety.
- Ensure that the guidance on the location of cupboards, recycling bins or waste bins in corridors or on means of escape is implemented. Location of cupboards, recycling bins and waste bins.
Last updated: date