Hazardous and Difficult Waste
Guidance for the Disposal and Storage of Hazardous Waste and other Difficult Waste
The aim of the guidance is to ensure that the University meets its duties to comply with the Hazardous Waste Regulations 2005
Hazardous and Difficult wastes are defined. The procedure by which waste may be assessed to determine whether it falls in either of these categories is described as well as the procedure for disposal of these types of waste.
Duties and Responsibilities
Head of Department
- to ensure that an assessment is undertaken of all waste generated by the department to determine whether it is Hazardous or Difficult waste.
- to ensure all Hazardous or Difficult waste is suitably packaged for disposal.
- to notify the Safety Office of the details of Hazardous waste generated by the department.
- to notify the Facilities Manager of the details of Difficult waste generated by the department.
- to arrange for payment of the costs of the disposal of Hazardous waste which arises from all research work which is funded by a grant and where the grant was awarded after 1 April 2005
Last updated: date