Health and Safety Committee
The University Health and Safety Committee reports to the Vice Chancellor or his nominee
Terms of Reference
- To promote co-operation between the university and its employees in instigating, developing and carrying out measures to ensure the health and safety at work of the employees.
- To make recommendations to university senior management about measures, including health and safety policy and rules, intended to ensure the health, safety and welfare at work of all employees, other members of the university, authorised visitors and members of the public lawfully entering the grounds and buildings of the university, in accordance with statutory requirements and relevant codes of practice and guidance.
- To monitor the implementation of health and safety policy and associated measures to ensure health and safety, including training and, when necessary,. to co-opt specialist advisers and appoint sub-committees to assist with this.
- To review on a regular basis key performance indicators, such as the record of occupational accidents, notifiable diseases, reports from inspectors of any relevant enforcing authority, the outcomes of internal safety audits, and make an annual report to the Council.
- Chief Operating Officer
- University Secretary
- Head of Health and Safety
- Safety Officer
- Radiation Protection Officer
- President of the Students' Union
- Vice-President Events and Democracy, Students' Union
- one lay member of the Council, appointed by the Council (in the Chair)
- one person appointed by UCU
- one person appointed by UNISON
- four persons appointed by UNITE
- up to two persons with an involvement in health and safety from each of the four faculties, appointed by the dean
- one person appointed by the Colleges and Student Experience Committee
- representative from Student Based Services
- one member of the staff of the Sports Centre, appointed by the management board
- Director of Facilities (or nominee)
- Director of Human Resources
- Activities Manager of the Students' Union
- Head of Security