The following is a list of machine hazards that may require consideration as part of a risk assessment.
It is not an exhaustive list and each machine will need to be considered in terms of its individual characteristics.
- Ejection of material (e.g. swarf, bursting abrasive wheel, work piece etc.)
- Moving parts (e.g. entanglement while adjusting coolant flow or re-positioning work piece on a metal working lathe)
- Kickback on hand fed woodwork machines
- Parts of equipment coming apart (e.g. collapsing tool post)
- Friction (leading to overheating and fire)
- Contaminated coolants (leading to dermatitis or bacterial infection)