Dr Paul RaysonReader in Natural Language Processing
Personal website: http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/staff/rayson/
Director of UCREL research centre
I am a Reader in Computer Science at Lancaster University, UK and Director of the UCREL interdisciplinary research centre which carries out research in corpus linguistics and natural language processing (NLP). A long term focus of my work is the application of semantic-based NLP in extreme circumstances where language is noisy e.g. in historical, learner, speech, email, txt and other CMC varieties. My applied research is in the areas of online child protection, cyber security, learner dictionaries, and text mining of historical corpora and annual financial reports. I am a co-investigator of the five-year ESRC Centre for Corpus Approaches to Social Science (CASS) which is designed to bring the corpus approach to bear on a range of social sciences.
SCC312 Languages and Compilation
2003 PhD, Computer Science, Lancaster University.
1990 BSc (Hons) Computer Science and Mathematics, Lancaster University.
2015 – now Reader (School of Computing & Communications, Lancaster University)
2012 – 2015 Senior Lecturer (School of Computing & Communications, Lancaster University)
2012 – 2015 Director of International Teaching Partnerships (Faculty of Science and Technology, Lancaster University)
2009 – 2012 Lecturer (School of Computing & Communications, Lancaster University)
2008 – now Director of Isis Forensics Ltd., Infolab21, Lancaster University
2006 – 2007 Teaching Fellow (Computing Department, Lancaster University)
2006 – 2011 Director of The Research Engine Ltd., Infolab21, Lancaster University
2003 – now Director of UCREL Research Centre (Computing & Linguistics Depts, Lancaster University)
1997 – 2009 Research Fellow (Computing Department, Lancaster University)
1990 – 1997 Research associate/assistant (Computing Department, Lancaster University)
- Production editor of Corpora published by Edinburgh University Press (1st issue 2006).
- Production editor of ICAME published by the University of Bergen, Norway (since April 2006).
Book Series Editorship:
- Co-editor (with Mark Davies, Brigham Young University) of Routledge Frequency Dictionaries.
- Advisory boards for ICAME (International Computer Archive of Modern and Medieval English) and JISC Historic Books.
- Professional memberships: IEEE Computer Society, ACL (Association for Computational Linguistics), ALLC (Association for Literary & Linguistic Computing), British Computer Society
Recent conference and workshop organisation:
- (k) Workshop on Corpus Linguistics & Machine Translation Applications (August 12-13 2008, CCID, Beijing, P.R. China), (l) eLexicography in the 21st century (22-24 October, 2009, Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium), (m) 30th Annual Conference of the International Computer Archive for Modern and Medieval English ICAME30 (May 2008, Lancaster, UK) (n) All seven Corpus Linguistics conferences CL2001 - CL2009 (Lancaster x 2, 2001-3, Birmingham x 2, 2005-7, Liverpool, 2009, Birmingham, 2011, and Lancaster, 2013).
Recent Conference committee membership:
- (t) Workshop on Annotation of corpora for research in the Humanities (January 2012, Heidelberg) (u) Language Resources and Evaluation Conference, LREC2012 (May 2012, Istanbul, Turkey) (v) Corpus Technologies and Applied Linguistics, Xi’an Jiaotong Liverpool University (XJTLU) (Suzhou, China, June 2012) (w) 9th International Workshop on Natural Language Processing and Cognitive Science (NLPCS-2012) (June 2012, Wroclaw, Poland)
Proposal and final report reviewing for UK research councils and funding agencies:
- British Academy, ESRC, AHRC, British Council and The Leverhulme Trust.
Reviewing for international journals:
- Computer Speech and Language, Language Resources and Evaluation (previously Computers and the Humanities), IEEE Transactions on Professional Communication, Transactions on Aspect-oriented software development, IET Software, Interacting with Computers.
PhD Supervision Interests
Contextual disambiguation for automatic semantic annotationMultilingual semantic taggingSpelling variation in historical or online varieties
Selected Publications Show all 218 publications
Towards Interactive Multidimensional Visualisations for Corpus Linguistics
Rayson, P.E., Mariani, J.A., Anderson-Cooper, B., Baron, A., Gullick, D.S., Moore, A., Wattam, S. 12/05/2017 In: Journal for Language Technology and Computational Linguistics. 31, 1, p. 27-49. 23 p.
Creating and validating multilingual semantic representations for six languages: expert versus non-expert crowds
El-Haj, M., Rayson, P., Piao, S., Wattam, S. 3/04/2017 In: Proceedings of the 1st Workshop on Sense, Concept and Entity Representations and their Applications. Association for Computational Linguistics p. 61-71. 11 p. ISBN: 9781945626500.
Lancaster A at SemEval-2017 Task 5: Evaluation metrics matter: predicting sentiment from financial news headlines
Moore, A., Rayson, P.E. 4/08/2017 In: Proceedings of the 11th International Workshop on Semantic Evaluations (SemEval-2017). Stroudsburg, PA : Association for Computational Linguistics p. 581-585. 5 p. ISBN: 9781945626555.
A time-sensitive historical thesaurus-based semantic tagger for deep semantic annotation
Piao, S.S., Dallachy, F., Baron, A., Demmen, J.E., Wattam, S., Durkin, P., McCracken, J., Rayson, P.E., Alexander, M. 11/2017 In: Computer Speech and Language. 46, p. 113-135. 23 p.
Word frequencies in written and spoken English: based on the British National Corpus.
Leech, G., Rayson, P., Wilson, A. 2001 London : Longman. 304 p. ISBN: 0582320070.
From key words to key semantic domains
Rayson, P. 2008 In: International Journal of Corpus Linguistics. 13, 4, p. 519-549. 31 p.
Experiments in 17th century English:: manual and automatic conceptual history
Pumfrey, S., Rayson, P., Mariani, J. 2010
Classification of Short Text Comments by Sentiment and Actionability for VoiceYourView
Simm, W., Ferrario, M., Piao, S., Whittle, J., Rayson, P. 2010 In: IEEE Second International Conference on Social Computing (SocialCom), 2010 . IEEE p. 552-557. 6 p.
Differentiating act from ideology: evidence from messages for and against violent extremism
Prentice, S., Taylor, P., Rayson, P., Giebels, E. 08/2012 In: Negotiation and Conflict Management Research. 5, 3, p. 289-306. 18 p.
Safeguarding cyborg childhoods: incorporating the on/offline behaviour of children into everyday social work practices
May-Chahal, C., Mason, C., Rashid, A., Walkerdine, J., Rayson, P., Greenwood, P. 2014 In: British Journal of Social Work. 44, 3, p. 596-614. 19 p.
Automatic standardisation of texts containing spelling variation: How much training data do you need?
Baron, A., Rayson, P. 2009 In: Proceedings of the Corpus Linguistics Conference. Lancaster : Lancaster University 25 p.
Encyclopaedia of Shakespeare's Language
01/05/2016 → 31/08/2019
Geospatial Innovation in the Digital Humanities: A Deep Map of the Lake District
19/10/2015 → …
Geospatial Innovations in the Digital Humanities: A Deep Map of the English Lake District
19/10/2015 → 19/10/2018
01/12/2014 → 01/07/2015
Understanding Corporate Communications
01/12/2014 → 01/10/2016
01/12/2014 → 01/07/2015
Semantic Annotation and Mark Up for Enhancing Lexical Searches (SAMUELS)
01/01/2014 → 31/03/2015
ESRC centre for Corpus Approaches to Social Science - CASS
31/03/2013 → 30/03/2018
Metaphor in End of Life Care
01/09/2012 → 28/06/2014
FP7: Spatial Humanities
01/01/2012 → 31/12/2016
Corpus Research in Early Modern English
01/10/2011 → …
01/06/2011 → 30/11/2013
01/01/2008 → 30/06/2011
Variability in child language
01/04/2007 → …
Using a semantic annotation tool for research on metaphor in discourse
01/12/2005 → …
Changing English across the 20th Century: A Corpus-based Study
01/08/2005 → 31/07/2007
ASSIST: Automated Semantic Assistance for Translators
01/04/2005 → 30/06/2007
- SCC Data Science Group
- Security Lancaster
- UCREL - University Centre for Computer Corpus Research on Language