Because this is a doctoral programme, we do not require a research proposal from applicants. However the personal statement should contain the following:-
- A statement of where you are currently employed, and in what capacity (this must be a higher education institution)
- A statement of reasons for applying for the programme;
- Any evidence of achieving goals and meeting deadlines in a comparable area in the past;
- Any evidence of the ability to think and write analytically.
As part of your application we ask you to upload a piece of writing, in English, that you have produced in the past and which best demonstrates the following characteristics:
- The ability to respond in a focused way to a specific question, remit or task;
- The ability to express ideas in an accessible way;
- The ability to structure a document in a clear and logical manner.
The document must have been produced by you alone. It may be something academic (perhaps for a prior qualification) or could be a policy document, a guidance document or some other form (perhaps produced in your professional role) which demonstrates the three characteristics above. If the document is accessible online you may also provide us with a link to it.
The programme does not assume any previous research training but those admitted should normally have relevant professional experience. Applicants should normally have at least three years experience of teaching, research or administration in a university, further education college, or comparable institution.
For admission to this version of the programme applicants should normally have:
- a good honours degree from a British university or CNAA, and usually a taught Master's degree; or
- qualifications of a comparable standard from a university or recognised degree awarding body in another country.
Applicants will need to have an acceptable fluency in written and spoken English.
For students whose first language is not English, an English Language Test Certificate will be required, that is, IELTS Academic with an overall score of 6.5 with at least 6.0 for reading and writing.
Further information can be found at: English Language Requirements.
Please apply using the Online system. As this is a PhD by coursework and thesis we do not require a research proposal at this stage, but you should explain why you wish to join the programme and how you hope to benefit from it.
Alternatively, application forms can be obtained from:
Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
Telephone: +44 (0)1524 510880
Fax: +44 (0)1524 510857