Scholarships and Funding
You may be entitled to a number of scholarships and funding opportunities to aid your postgraduate study at Lancaster.
The fee that you will be charged depends on whether you are considered to be a UK, EU or overseas student. Visiting students will be charged a pro-rata fee for periods of study less than a year. Our annual tuition fee is set for a 12-month session, which usually runs from October to September the following year.
Department MSc Scholarships
The Department is delighted to offer ten prestigious scholarships, which all applicants of our taught Masters programmes are eligible for. These include:
- One £5,000 scholarship for UK and EU applicants
- Eight £5,000 scholarships for international applicants
- One £5,000 scholarship for either UK and EU, or international applicants
We will allocate the scholarships on the basis of academic merit and with consideration of the successful applicant’s fee liability. All eligible applicants will be automatically assessed; therefore there is no requirement to apply separately.
We will contact you (using the email address on your application form) explaining the details and conditions if you are successful.
Alumni Loyalty Scholarship
Lancaster University will offer a reduction in tuition fees to all taught Master’s programmes for eligible applicants, determined by the level of undergraduate award achieved. The value of the scholarship is as follows:
- 20% fee reduction for 1st Class Hons degree holders
- 10% fee reduction for 2:1 Hons degree holders
Who is eligible?
To be eligible for the Alumni Loyalty Scholarship you must either:
- Hold an undergraduate degree from Lancaster University (achieved at any time) or
- Hold an undergraduate degree from Lancaster University, achieved at any time, including one delivered through an associated institution, or
- Have graduated from one of our partner institutions with a Lancaster University degree (LU Ghana; Sunway University Malaysia) or
- Have studied at Lancaster University via our Study Abroad programme
The Scholarship is open to all our Alumni, regardless of their nationality or year of graduation. You do not need to apply for this scholarship; you will qualify automatically if you meet the eligibility criteria and the course entry requirements.
Postgraduate Loan Scheme
In November 2015 the UK Government confirmed that a new postgraduate loan scheme will be introduced for students commencing master’s courses in the 2016/17 academic year.
Non-means-tested loans of up to £10,000 will be made available to students applying to taught and research Masters courses. PhD students will be funded through a separate scheme. These are available to students under the age of 60 across all subjects and are considered a contribution toward the cost of your postgraduate study. As postgraduate funding is considered a devolved matter for Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, loans are only available for students resident in England.