The Structures, Materials & Manufacturing Research Group is a multidisciplinary research cohort running a broad programme of coordinated research activities. These activities enable in-depth understanding of fundamental and applied aspects of functional materials, composite systems, structural health monitoring, production processes and technologies.
Our focus on complex real-world challenges means we work with companies including BAE Systems, Qinetiq, DSTL, ITASCA, ESI, 3D Systems (CRDM), Quadra Solutions Ltd, NT CADCAM Ltd, Croft Filters Ltd. A significant portfolio of industrially-driven collaboration in the fields of engineering design and advanced manufacturing, especially with SMEs.
Our main research areas include:
- smart sensors for structural integrity and durability monitoring
- composite materials and structures
- component design and optimisation
- additive manufacturing and laser-based production techniques
- multiscale modelling of materials and production processes.