12 November 2015
If you are a current undergraduate and would like to apply for accommodation for 2016/17, you can apply online from 20th November. Our rent increase this year will be 0.5% on average, with some room types not increasing at all. Please read on for the full details. Postgraduates should note that the Graduate College will contact them directly in early 2016 with details of their accommodation for returning students.

Creating an account

If you haven’t previously made an online accommodation application you will need to create a user account before you can apply. To create the account, click here to go to the web portal. This is a simple process and the vast majority of our students have already done this. You will receive an email to confirm that you have created the account.

Making the application

The web portal address is: www.colleges-residences.lancs.ac.uk/apply/default.aspx. Once you have logged in you will need to select 2016/17 applications on the following screen in order to make your application for next year. There's no need to rush though - we won't be allocating until January.

Username & password

Your username is your Student ID number, not your Lancaster University login. It’s on your University card. You will have set your password when you originally registered. We don’t know your password and we can’t change your password. However, if you have forgotten your password you can change it on the login page of the web portal. We have a ‘3 strikes and out’ security feature which will block your access to the portal for 30 minutes. Make sure that you know your password and type it correctly. 

Email addresses

We will use your ‘@lancaster.ac.uk’ email address for any correspondence; unless you have previously supplied a different email address when registering with the web portal, in which case system generated mailings will go to that address. We will send mailings from the stures@lancaster.ac.uk address. Please do set this address as a ‘safe sender’ to avoid losing important information from us into your spam folder.

Deadlines and guarantees

If you are currently studying on a year away from the University (abroad or on a work placement), you are guaranteed a place on campus if you want it, providing you apply by Sunday 10 January 2016. If you fall into these categories but apply later than this, you would be placed in a queue with all other applicants.

Please note that for most categories of student there is no guarantee of accommodation on campus after your first year.

If you feel that you have a disability or special requirements that make living on campus a necessity you must discuss them with your Residence Officer in advance of 10 January and you will normally be expected to provide medical evidence from a UK doctor. You should proceed to apply in the usual way, writing in the ‘Additional Notes’ field that you have such a requirement for living on campus.

We aim to be able to allocate rooms in the week commencing 11 January 2016 and will make offers by email by 21 January. If we have received more applications that we have rooms by 10 January we will hold a ballot to determine the allocation. If you fall lower down the list than the cut-off point you will be placed on a waiting list.


If you want to live with friends, you need to nominate a group leader in advance and put their name and student ID number in the required field on the web form. It goes without saying but you all need to belong to the same college (unless you are applying for Chancellor’s Wharf) and be applying for the same kind of accommodation.

REMEMBER: You all still need to submit an application! Just put the leader's ID on yours in the right place so they will all be grouped together.

Chancellors Wharf

The application form allows you to apply for accommodation in your own college or Chancellors Wharf, the University's only managed halls of residence in the city centre. Offering 242 modern 'Standard with Washbasin' rooms, Chancellor's Wharf is available to students from all colleges to apply to in the same way you would apply for accommodation on-campus. Set in a convenient canalside location, the three buildings opposite the Water Witch are just a short walk into the city centre, or the infirmary bus stop that connects with the University campus. We’ve frozen the prices this year and our weekly rent matches that of the standard rooms on campus. Chancellor’s Wharf also offers a market-leading 40 week tenancy for city-centre halls of residence.

You can take a look at what we have to offer at Chancellor's Wharf online and in this YouTube clip.


If you wish to apply for a studio you can do this via the online application. As only Pendle and Grizedale have studios, successful applicants would be offered studio accommodation on Alexandra Park. Please complete the form highlighting the choice of room you would like if a studio is unavailable so that we can best accommodate you if we cannot offer you a studio.


The process for allocating family flats differs to that of the student rooms and you will not be able to apply for one during this process. If you are single or wanting to be housed with a group of friends, please don't apply for a family flat as you cannot be allocated family accommodation.

If you wish to be housed as a couple (one bed) or with your children, then please wait until the applications are open for postgraduate returners in January. You will be able to apply for family accommodation at that time but be aware that postgraduates are given priority and we are unable to advise undergraduates if they have been successful or not until the summer.

If you wish to be housed as a couple but your priority is to be on campus, then we would advise you to apply for two single rooms and contact the flats officer in the summer about the possibility of upgrading if there are family flat vacancies.

Study Abroad & Year in Industry

If you are planning to study abroad in 2016/17, please don’t apply for accommodation. If you subsequently don’t get the grades you need, we have an arrangement with the International Office that we will find you a room on campus. If you are planning a work placement, please discuss the situation with your Residence Officer before applying.

Study Group/Foundation students

Students currently with the International Study Centre should NOT apply for a room in this way. If you are successful on your course and begin a full degree in 2016, you will be invited to apply as a first year in summer 2016, with a different student ID number.

College changes

If you feel you have reason to change college, please contact your College Administrator in the first instance to discuss your reasons and they will consult with the college you want to move to. If you will be requiring accommodation, please make sure that you do this in plenty of time for it to be agreed and finalised before the Lent term.


Your College Residence Officer will confirm whether we can offer you a room or if you are on our waiting list in the first week of the Lent term. We will then issue an offer by email before 21 January which contains the final rents and terms and conditions. You would then have seven days to accept it, at which point the contract will be binding and you wouldn’t be able to change your mind.


Please note that we are unable to offer accommodation to students currently in debt to the University. If you are offered accommodation and subsequently encounter financial difficulties, you will be expected to clear outstanding amounts due by the end of June. If this happens, you must discuss the situation with your Residence Officer to make arrangements and agree a payment plan. Failure to agree a plan may result in you being issued with a notice to cancel the accommodation agreement.