Date: 15th February 2013
Duration: 1 day
Delivered by: Dr Les Humphreys
Registration deadline has passed.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about this course.
The course fees include all supporting documentation and refreshments.
- External from industry/commerce - £255
- External from academic institution/public sector/charity - £220
- External postgraduate student - £150
- Lancaster University staff - £60
- Lancaster University postgraduate student - £30
- Members of Mathematics and Statistics at Lancaster University - £ 0
This course covers the basics of Atlas.ti, a popular textual analysis tool, and situates the program within the wider methodological framework of social science analysis.
- assigning documents;
- creating quotations and codes;
- different ways of coding text - including automatic coding;
- using the query tool to search for co-occurrences of codes;
- creating subgroups (families) of documents or codes;
- examining the output available;
- creating network diagrams to display relationships;
- the course will also comment on issues of typicality, representativeness and control using contemporary social scientific examples. Students will also be shown how to link data from Atlas.ti to other statistical packages such as SPSS.
Students will learn through the application of concepts and techniques covered in the course to real data sets. Students will be encouraged to examine issues of empirical interest in these studies.
Successful students will:
- understand the concepts of systematic textual analysis;
- be able to use Atlas.ti and have an understanding of its potential for various styles of research;
- be able to prepare data for analysis;
- be able to code and analyse textual data systematically;
- be able to assemble network relationship diagrams;
- be able to interpret the results of Atlas.ti output;
- understand the strengths and weaknesses of the different approaches to textual analysis;
Registrations are transferable to another course or individual at any time. Full refunds will be given for cancellation 10 or more working days before the course start date. Otherwise the full course fee will be charged.