Postgraduate History Research Students
- ALLAN, Susan, 'Creating a sense of place: traditional music and dialect in Cumbria since 1750'. (Supervisors: Professor Angus Winchester and Dr Thomas Rohkramer)
- BISHOP, Nicola, 'Masculinity and Modernity: A Comparative Study of Lower-Middle-Class Clerical Identities in America and Britain between 1850 and 1940'. (Supervisors: Dr James Taylor and Professor John Schad)
- BOOTH, Philip, The Pilgrimage of Magister Thietmar (Supervisor: Professor Andrew Jotischky)
- BOWEN, James, 'The Governance of Common Land in South Shropshire and the Welsh Borders from the Late Medieval to the Present'. (Supervisor: Professor Angus Winchester)
- CHRISTODOULOU, Maria, 'The "Terrorist" Underground: Political violence and cinema in 1970s Italy and Germany'. (Supervisors: Professor Mercedes Camino and Professor Aristotle Kallis)
- CORBETT, Timothy, ‘Jewish cemeteries in Vienna’. (Supervisors: Dr. Corinna Peniston-Bird and Dr. Thomas Rohkramer
- CORNELL du HOUX, Adrian, ‘Lay vitae in the long 11th century’. (Supervisor: Professor Andrew Jotischky)
- CUNNINGHAM, Niall, 'Religious Change in Ireland from the Great Famine to the Present: A GIS Approach'. (Supervisors: Professor Ian Gregory and Professor Angus Winchester)
- DEBENHAM, Enid, Jory, ‘Performing Terezin: Contemporary Performance and Memorialization of music from Ghetto Theresienstadt". (Supervisors: Professor Derek Sayer and Professor Michael Beckerman)
- DOHERTY, James, 'The "Defence of Christendom" in Latin and vernacular writing of 12th and 13th centuries'. (Supervisor: Professor Andrew Jotischky)
- FARRELL, Sandra, 'Feminist complicity in the invasion of Afghanistan: a woman's right to rescue' (Supervisor: Patrick Hagopian)
- FERDIOUS, Sayeed, 'Partition in Bengal: Memory and History beyond Nationalism in Bangladesh'. (Supervisor: Professor Derek Sayer)
- FLETCHER, Chris, 'Information, Identity, Selfhood: Facebook as a Technology of the Self'. (Supervisor: Dr Yoke-Sum Wong)
- GREEN, Patricia, 'Seventeenth-century female natural philosophers - the lady scientists'. (Supervisor: Dr Stephen Pumfrey)
- HEGINBOTHAM, Christopher, 'Romanesque tympanum sculpture and the medieval viewer'. (Supervisor: Professor Andrew Jotischky)
- HOPKINSON, Thomas, 'Exploration, Scientific Observation and Encounters with the Other: Patrick Brydone's account of Sicily and Malta'. (Supervisor: Dr Alexander Metcalfe)
- KERNER, Frances, 'Chiltern common waste c.1650-present'. (Supervisor: Professor Angus Winchester)
- MADDOX, Kelly, 'Japanese Imperialism in the Context of Genocide'. (Supervisor: Professor Aristotle Kallis)
- MEAD, Emily, 'Power, Patronage and underage rule in Norman Sicily'. Supervisor: Dr Alex Metcalfe)
- MESSENGER, Peter, 'Land ownership and landscape history in northern Cumbria'. (Supervisor: Professor Angus Winchester)
- OSBORNE, Christopher, ‘British Brass Bands and their Music in the Twentieth Century’. (Supervisor: Dr. Corinna Peniston-Bird)
- PAYNE, Joseph, ‘The Royal Mint in Crisis? Public offices, private enterprises and technical innovation: the career of Assay Master Alchorne (1727-1800). (Supervisor: Dr. Stephen Pumfrey)
- PULLAN, Amanda, 'Religious practice in Restoration England, c. 1660-1710'. (Supervisor: Professor Naomi Tadmor)
- PURDY, Martin, ‘‘Vision and Practice: The Westfield War Memorial Village, Lancaster, from 1918 to the present. (Supervisor: Dr. Corinna Peniston-Bird [doctoral advisor, Mrs Amanda Stretch, Curator Westfield War Memorial Village])
- ROBIN, Sarah-Ann, 'Love across the Atlantic'. (Supervisor: Dr Sarah Barber and Dr Corinna Peniston-Bird)
- SAVILLE-SMITH, Katherine, ‘Business Imperatives and Social Aspirations: Innovation, kinship and consumption by a family of Lakeland iron masters’ (Supervisors, Professor Angus Winchester and Dr. James Taylor).
- SCOTT, Alex, 'The Role of Museums and Galleries in the Urban Regeneration of Liverpool'. (Supervisor: Dr Yoke-Sum Wong and Professor Derek Sayer)
- SHARPLES, John, 'Chess (and other games) in popular culture'. (Supervisors: Professor Jeffrey Richards and Dr Thomas Rohkramer)
- SIMPSON, Graham, 'Nature of purgatory in twelfth century monastic literature'. (Supervisor: Professor Andrew Jotischky)
- SMITH, Kirsten, 'From Femme Fatale to Spook: Charting popular culture's representations of the female British spy 1939-1995'. (Supervisor: Dr Corinna Peniston-Bird)
- SMITH, Nigel, 'Cultural landscape characterisation in upland environments'. (Supervisor: Dr Angus Winchester)
- TOBYN, Graeme, 'History of Herbal Medicine in England'. (Supervisor: Dr Stephen Pumfrey)
- VALNY, Tereza, 'Czechoslavakian Crisis of 1938'. (Supervisor: Professor Derek Sayer)
- WILKINSON, Alexander, 'Photographic imaginaries: history in theory, c.1918-1980'. (Supervisor: Professor Derek Sayer)
- WOOD, Lynsey, ‘Pretty Maids All in a Row: Ruling Queens and the Language of Legitimation in Sixteenth Century England’ (Supervisor: Professor Naomi Tadmor)
Recently Awarded Degrees
Awarded in 2013
- COOK, William, 'Scandinavian Identity in Cumbria, c. 900-1250'. (Supervisor: Professor Angus Winchester)
- HAMMOND, Wilfred, 'The political engagement of Lancashire Catholic gentry, 1558-80'. (Supervisor: Professor Michael Mullett)
- MARCHLEWSKI, Ann-Kathrin, 'St Cnut of Denmark, king and martyr: his lives, their authors and the politics of his cult c.1086-1200'. (Supervisor: Dr Paul Hayward)
Awarded in 2012
- DENMAN, Derek, ' Materialising cultural value in the English Lakes, 1735-1845: a study of the responses of new landowners to representations of place and people. (Supervisors: Professor Angus Winchester and Dr Michael Winstanley)
- LINCOLN, George, 'Settlement patterns in Sicily and Calabria in the pre-Norman and Norman periods'. (Supervisor: Dr Alex Metcalfe)
- WILKINSON, Oliver, 'Challenging Captivity: British Prisoners Of War In Germany During The First World War’ (Supervised by: Professor Stephen Constantine and Dr Corinna Peniston-Bird)
Awarded in 2011
- GIBBS, James, 'Settler Mythologies: Citizenship, Land and Kenyan Independence'. (Supervisors: Professor Stephen Constantine and Dr Deborah Sutton)
- MORRIS, Marcus, ‘H.M. Hyndman and the development of British Socialism: a reputation reassessed'. (Supervisor: Dr James Taylor)
- PLATT, Jane, 'A Sweet, Saintly, Christian Business? The Anglican Parish Magazine, 1839-1918'. Ph.D.
- ROBERTS, Rachel, 'The construction of the 'half-breed Indian' in American culture from the 1890s to the 1930s' (Supervisor: Dr Tim Hickman)
Awarded in 2010
- DELLER, William, 'Proofs of Age: Their nature and uses 1270-1440'. Ph.D.
- EDWARDS, Ben, 'With God on Our Side: British Christian responses to the Spanish Civial War'. Ph.D.
- MANKIN, Kenneth, 'In the Care of Godly Settlers: The NCH and child migration to Canada'. M.Phil.
- MILLER, Wendy, 'The role of the family and the transformation of dairying, c.1870-1950'. Ph.D.
- PURKISS, Richard, 'Anarchism in the city and province of Valencia, 1910-1936'. Ph.D.
- RASMUSSEN, Matthew, 'Till we have built Jerusalem: Mormonism and the Making of a Lancashire Zion'. Ph.D.
- ROSE, Sarah, 'The Honour of Pontefract, c. 1066-1485'. Ph.D.
Awarded in 2009
- FISHER, Eleanor, 'Local Authorities and the Management of the Common Lodging House in Lancashire, 1851-1914'. Ph.D.
- GLEDHILL, Jonathan, 'The Structure and Exercise of Lordship in South Eastern Scotland, 1094-1434'. Ph.D.
- HUNTER, John, 'Aspects of Death in the North-West: Graveyards and Gravestones'. M.Phil.
- LAWRENCE, Dianne, 'Material culture and the transfer of female gentility to the British Empire during the latter half of the 19th century'. Ph.D.
- MOATT, Michelle, 'A Limpid and Abundant Spring': A re-reading of Walter Daniel's Life of Aelred Rievaulx'. Ph.D.
- PARKER, L.R., 'Forgotten Lancashire? Rural settlements in the East Lancashire Textile District, c.1800-1914'. Ph.D.
- SHANNON, William, 'Approvement and Improvement in Early Modern England: Enclosure in the lowland wastes of Lancashire c.1500-1700'. Ph.D.
- VAUKINS, Simon, 'The Isle of Man Tourist Trophy Motor-Cycle Races 1907 to the 1960s: Politics, Economics and National Identity'. Ph.D.
- WORDSWORTH, R.B., 'The Church Book of Cockermouth Congregational Church, 1651-1700'. M.Phil.
Awarded in 2008
- CRAWLEY, Roger, 'Historical Perceptions of Christopher Marlowe'. Ph.D.
- EDWARDS, Sam, 'American war memorialisation in Europe'. Ph.D.
- GALE, Andrew, 'Recruits and Identities: the West Country in the First World War'. Ph.D.
- HASHIMOTO, Yorimitsu, 'The 'Yellow Peril': Anglo-Japanese Perspective, 1893-1913'. Ph.D.
- McGLADE, Fred, 'The Creation and Development of the British Army Film and Photographic Unit in the Second World War'. Ph.D.
- STANSFIELD, Robert, 'Politics, Governance, and the War of the Roses: The Political Elites of South-West England 1450-1500'. Ph.D.
- VICKERS, Emma, 'Homosexuality and military authority in British Armed Forces, 1939-1945'. Ph.D.