Research in the Lancaster Medical School
Lancaster Medical School Staff have a wide range of research interests including epidemiology and medical education, as well as social science and biomedical science subjects applied to medicine
Research groups in the Medical School work closely with our colleagues in the rest of the Faculty of Health and Medicine on the Faculty's core interdisciplinary research themes: Ageing, Biostatistics and Epidemiology, Cancer, Infectious Diseases, Mental Health and Public Health.
The research effort in LMS is a dynamic and growing aspect of our departmental activity and can be broadly divided into the following areas (although significant collaboration occurs between these areas):
- Biostatistics and Epidemiology (CHICAS)
- Medical Education
- Social and Ethical Aspects of Health and Medicine
- Musculoskeletal Diseases
- Cancer and DNA Damage (joint group with Biomedical & Life Sciences)
Funding for research in LMS has come from a variety of sources including:
- Research councils such as BBSRC MRC and ESRC
- NHS sources such as NIHR and University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay NHS Foundation Trust
- Charities such as the Wellcome Trust, North West Cancer Research, Association for the Study of Medical Education, National Gamete Donation Trust
- International sources such as the National Institutes of Health USA and World Health Organization.