Understanding Leadership and Management
- What is leadership? What is management?
- Leadership and management: current debates and issues in relation to challenges of own role
- Social and ethical challenges for management and leadership in changing organisational contexts; managing with integrity
- Organisation culture, values, power – impact on expectations and behaviours of leadership and management
- Understanding your own leadership style, behaviours, habits
- Evaluating your own strengths and development needs in the context of management and leadership
- Developing authentic leadership effectiveness – aligning your approach to fit with organisational current and future needs
This course is a mix of online, flexible, facilitated learning followed by 1 day’s attendance at a face-to-face interactive workshop. You will be given access to the University's virtual learning environment so you can engage with the course materials and complete activities prior to attending the workshop.
On completion of the course you will understand different perceptions of effective leadership and management and be able to examine the effectiveness of leadership and management in the context of your own organisation. You will be able to devise a strategy for your own personal leadership development to help you to address the current challenges of your role.
This course carries 10 level 7 Higher Education credits and contributes to the:
- Postgraduate Certificate in Leadership and Management
- Postgraduate Certificate in Professional Development
Please note that to gain a Postgraduate Certificate in Professional Development, 20 of your credits may be at level 6. This means that one or two of the courses you select can be at level 6 with the remainder being at level 7
Assessments are based on applying your learning to work based activities so they are highly relevant and useful, and there are no exams!
We recognise prior learning and experience; there are no formal entry requirements and you don't necessarily need a degree to apply.