What is the Athena SWAN Charter?
The Athena SWAN Charter was established in 2005 to encourage and recognise commitment to advancing the careers of women in science, technology, engineering, maths and medicine employment in higher education and research.
In May 2015 the charter was expanded, and it now covers:
- Women, and men where appropriate
- Academic roles in science, technology, engineering, maths and medicine (STEMM)
- Academic roles in arts, humanities, social sciences, business and law (AHSSBL)
- Professional and support staff
- Trans staff and students
In relation to their:
- progression of students into academia
- journey through career milestones
- working environment for all staff