How to Apply

How do I apply for an Undergraduate Course?

All applications must be made through UCAS and your school or college can tell you how. You are very welcome to discuss your application informally with us.

What qualifications do I need in order to apply?

We consider each UCAS application individually, and there are no hard and fast rules. We look very closely at both your academic referee's report and your personal statement and take these into consideration when making our offer.

We acknowledge all accredited AS and A2 levels, including General Studies when presented as one of four A2 levels, and we favour no particular combination. A qualification in History is not necessarily a requirement. Our typical conditional offer is based on predicted or achieved A2 level grades of AAA-AAB for single honours History, although occasionally this can be adjusted to take account of special circumstances. 

We also welcome applicants from Scotland, usually asking of them AAABB or better at the Highers level.

If you are taking the International Baccalaureate, we normally ask for 36 points overall, with 16 points from your best three HL courses.

The study of History requires general intellectual ability, so we would encourage you to apply even if you are taking an unconventional group of subjects. We are interested ultimately in people who are likely to be creative, critical, original and above all, enthusiastic about their studies.

What if I am a mature applicant?

We encourage mature applicants and students who do not have the same qualifications as the school leaver to apply. However, we normally expect to see some evidence of recent academic study, for example, an Access course. Relevant work experience can also be taken into account. We recommend that you contact your local college to find what access courses or other pre-university courses it offers.

We also welcome applications from students who have taken Scottish Highers, the International Baccalaureate or equivalent qualifications.

If you require further information, please contact the Director of Admissions through our Admissions Administrator, prior to submitting your form.

Are there any forms of financial assistance to help me with my studies?

If you are a UK student, you may qualify for a bursary or scholarship to help you with the cost of your studies. The University also provides other forms of financial assistance, some of which are available to non-UK students. For more information visit the University Bursaries, Scholarships and Funding pages.


Contact Information

Undergraduate Admissions
Department of History
Bowland College
Lancaster University
United Kingdom
LA1 4YT 
Tel: 01524 593155