Effective Postgraduate Supervision
Is this workshop for me?
Are you involved in PhD Supervision? Just as there is no one-size fits all for the PhD, or PhD student, there is no one-size fits all model for how to supervise or for how you want to be as a supervisor.
Set within the context of the institutional expectations and support structures for PhD Supervision, this one-day interactive workshop aims to explore the challenges facing PhD supervision and how to be at your best as a supervisor. The event is for both new and experienced PhD supervisors.
- Being honest: how what’s in it for you informs your supervision.
- Horses for courses: how can you be as a supervisor? What would work for you and what might work for different kinds of students?
- Tips and tricks: some shared experiences of what works and what doesn’t work, for who and when.
- In the flow: How to bring the best out of your students (and yourself).
- How to set aspirations and goals as a supervisor.
The workshop is run by Dr. Will Medd, professional coach and co-author of “Your PhD Coach” (Mcgraw Hill/Open University Press) (www.willmedd.com)
- Be clear on what you value about PhD supervision alongside the rest of your work
- Be able to identify different ways to approach supervision and the impact that has on you and on the student
- Unpack assumptions you make about your students and your role
- Feel confident in your aspirations as a supervisor
- Identify clear steps to take forward your supervision and development as a supervisor.
- 15/04/2015 - 09.30-17.00
Next Steps: On completion of this course you may be interested in attending:
To find out more information or to book a place, please email the OED team direct.
Last updated 17/09/14 (JB)