The Bonington programme - Enhancing performance, developing potential
If you are looking to develop the knowledge, skills, expertise, attitudes and behaviours to support the next steps in your personal leadership journey, then this Programme presents an exceptional opportunity for you. This is a unique opportunity for innovative and ambitious staff at Lancaster to develop themselves into the next generation of senior leaders.
Input from eminent academics and speakers with first-hand experience of the leadership challenges facing HE, provide participants with privileged insight into the application of leadership in a range of settings. For all involved, the Programme represents an opportunity to expand internal and external networks, set stretching and inspiring leadership goals, raise your internal profile and engage with key leaders at Lancaster and experts in the leadership field.
Who is it forYou will typically be in a role graded 8 or 9 and aspire to lead larger functions, more complex projects with broader, strategic impact. You may be interested if:
You may be interested if:
- You are an academic with a significant teaching or administrative leadership responsibility in addition to your own research portfolio and wish to add to your suite of skills to develop further
- You are a PI leading a research team and are keen to extend your existing leadership skills to make a further contribution to Lancaster’s 2020 strategy
- You are a member of professional services and want to lead continuous improvement within and beyond your current service area
- You perform at a high level and see yourself as having the potential to develop further into one of Lancaster’s ‘senior leadership cadre'
- You wish to build on your existing involvement with the institution’s governance systems in preparation for a role with greater reach and leadership responsibility.
Programme StructureCommencing with a dinner with the Vice-Chancellor and other senior officers, this Programme is designed to challenge and push your performance further. It centres on a series of top-level master-classes, each presented by leadership experts which capture the diversity of leadership within global HE and beyond. Each master-class will be followed by dynamic debate which will challenge your worldview. The Programme will also provide a unique opportunity to participate in a ‘leadership challenge’ event with Liverpool University which will require you to question and evaluate your practice.
The Programme will commence with a 360 degree feedback exercise that will make you confront your existing performance and identify key areas for development. In addition, the Programme will enable you to identify a key priority within your current role and support you while you complete this beyond expectations.
As a participant, you will receive 1:1 leadership coaching alongside the development of peer relationships to help integrate and apply your learning.
What you will gain
As a result of participating in the Programme:
- Your potential will have been expanded and stretched.
- You will know yourself better as a leader.
- You will have a clear sense of what you need to do to progress your career.
- You will be better equipped to position your self within the institution.
Participation and CommitmentParticipation in the Programme is by nomination and is based on a competitive selection process. Places are limited and participants will be expected to commit fully to the requirements of the Programme. Please read our information on cancellation charges and inclusivity.
Nominations are invited from Deans, Heads of Department and Divisional Directors via a short form where there is also a framework to guide the identification of suitable colleagues. The nomination process opens on the 11th October 2016, and the deadline for submitting nominations is 9am Monday 21st November 2016. If you are interested in applying, please discuss with your Head of Department/Divisional Director and return the completed nomination form to OED@lancaster.ac.uk.
For general enquiries, please email OED.