Support and Resources for Academic Head of Department
Head of Department induction and workshops
Two day induction programme on the 22nd and 23rd April, covering some of the essential areas to enable you to see what is involved in the role, and informative and practical start to the ongoing support programme.
An element of the support available is a programme of lunchtime workshops that are designed to cover some of the key responsibilities/areas of concern for HoDs. These workshops are exclusively for academic HoDs (new and existing) and will provide an opportunity for you to identify common issues, share experiences and network with each other.
We will explore key topics that are central to the effective delivery of the HoD role; enable you to draw on a range of practical suggestions and skills in managing people issues; develop your confidence in your ability and enable you to be effective from the start of your term of office; assist you in identifying sources of support (each other, former HoDs, mentors, key subject matter experts); and point you towards other information resources.
- 22/09/2014 - 12.00 - 13.30 - 'The HoD role in the planning and resource allocation process' with Paul Graves, Director of Planning - This session will cover various aspects of the planning process for 2015-16, including the completion of the planning pro-formas (which HoDs will have already received), the supporting departmental/faculty information packs provided by the Planning Support Unit and the overarching aims of the planning process. It will also provide an opportunity for HoDs to give feedback on the planning process to date from a departmental perspective and to share experiences and ideas with other HoDs.
- 03/10/2014 - 12.00 - 13.30 - 'Competitor Challenge and Student Recruitment' with Clare Riding, Head of Marketing - Understanding the competition is an essential part of helping to drive student applications and enrolments onto degree programmes. This session will cover the ways in which market research can provide insight into competitor programmes, their structure, content and promotion. It will provide an opportunity to hear how the central Marketing team can support HoDs with this, hear some examples of where the team has already worked with departments, as well as quick tips for assessing the competition. It will also provide an opportunity for HoDs to share experiences and provide feedback about the types of support they require with course design and promotion.
- 23/10/2014 - 12.00 - 13.30 - 'Changes to academic cases for promotion' - Procedures and criteria surrounding academic promotions are changing with effect from this year. This session will outline the rationale behind these changes and discuss the implications for HoDs in relation to the preparation of cases. It will also provide an opportunity for HoDs to explore what a ‘good’ case consists of and share experiences of supporting staff through the promotions process.
- 28/11/2014 - 12.00 - 13.30 - 'HoD responsibilities for health, safety and risk assessment' - What does it mean to ‘manage ‘ health and safety at a departmental level; where does one begin; how does one develop an approach that is sensible and robust? The role of Head of Department carries with it specific duties in relation to the management of health and safety. As with the management of any aspect of a department’s business these duties can be discharged via the adoption of standard management tools and techniques. In this session we will talk about two such tools – the risk assessment and the health and safety plan. We will explore how you can efficiently use these tools to be confident that workplace hazards are being adequately controlled within your department.
- 10/12/2014 - 12.00 - 13.30 - ‘Head of Department open forum’ - This session will not centre around a particular theme but will provide an opportunity to share issues and experiences that HoDs feel are topical.
- 28/01/2015 - 12.00 - 13.30 - 'Approving research grants using the new Agresso Costing and Pricing tool' - This session will cover various aspects of the costing and approval process with the change over from pFACT to the new costing system, ACP. There will be an overview of the whole costing process with details about how proposal requests are triaged for priority handling. A demonstration of ACP will include an overview of the whole system, how to generate an approvers report for HoDs and to move proposals through the workflow approvals process. It will also provide an opportunity for HoDs to ask any questions they may have about the new process.
- 17/02/2015 - 12.00 - 13.30 - 'Wellbeing within the academic community'
- 27/04/2015 - 12.00 - 13.30 - 'University Governance and what a HoD needs to know' - This session will provide an overview of governance at Lancaster, presented particularly from the point of view of a Head of Department. Key structures, processes and decision-making fora will be discussed and some of the challenges facing HoDs will be explored.
- 13/05/2015 - 12.00 - 13.30 - 'Departmental workforce planning, workload models and internal models of delegation'
A light lunch is usually provided so booking is required. Please contact Lucy directly on L.E.Thorne@lancaster.ac.uk
Coaching supportDuring your first year as an academic Head of Department you will be offered one to one coaching with an external coach who will be able to support you through your transition period.
Other relevant development
Epigeum - on-line development programeDeveloped by Academic HoDs from across the UK. This on-line resource covers some of the basic skills and considerations you may need to use in your role. Evaluated by existing HoDs at Lancaster, they found this a "useful tool to dip in and out of as and when the need arose" It sits on moodle and so you will need to apply for access to have this added to your access list.
Please contact email@example.com for further details