Research Development Programme
About the Research Development Programme
Launched in 2014/15 and running again in 2015/16 because of the success of its first year, the Research Development Programme signals a very different approach to enhancing your research effectiveness. It provides a structured development route for academics and researchers, focusing on the demands and experience of everyday research life. It is designed to promote impactful research and to support your development beyond your disciplinary area.
Who is it for?Whether you are a junior lecturer or an established researcher, this programme recognises the need to engage with you wherever you are in your career. If you are a PI, you may be interested in this parallel strand of development that is new for 2015/16.
You may be interested if you want to:Take your research to the next level. This programme will challenge you to set inspiring goals, and to stick to them.
Create a new research focus. This programme will enable you to explore options and identify action.
Discover new ways of thinking about engagement. This programme will encourage reflection on communities relevant to you.
Develop a more strategic approach to publishing. This programme will re-examine and enhance your own personal profile.
For all involved, the programme will be an opportunity to expand internal networks, create effective strategies to enhance research performance while managing the other demands of your job.
Programme structureThe programme runs from January to July 2016 and consists of two elements:
Element 1: Coaching
The programme starts with an interactive and experiential one day workshop followed by group coaching. The workshop focuses on core foundations around your research, including engaging with values, managing the inner critic, finding motivation, focus and confidence. The focus of the coaching is down to the goals you set; writing, grants, managing projects, impact. It provides a structure of challenge and accountability to achieve them.
Element 2: Research events
These run throughout the programme, covering a range of topics, all of which are related to Vitae’s Research Development Framework:
- Research data Management: what, why and How? - Domain C
- Writing successful, high impact grant proposals - Domain D
- Enhancing your research networks - Domain D
- Costing your research grant - Domain C
- Ethical research, research integrity and research governance - Domain C
- Dissemination beyond papers - Domain D
- How to publish strategically - Domain D
As a participant, you must be willing to commit to the following:
• Attendance at the launch event on 17 December from 9.30-12.30pm in the FASS meeting rooms 2/3.
• Attendance at the coaching induction session on January 5th.
• Participating in group coaching sessions throughout the programme (accessed via phone)
• A minimum of 3 of the research events (detailed above)