Research Development Programme
About the Research Development Programme
The Research Development Programme is brand new for 2014/15 and signals a very different approach to enhancing your research effectiveness. It builds on the positive evaluation of OED’s ‘successful researcher programme’ in 2013/14 and provides a structured development route for academics and contract researchers. It focuses on the demands and experience of everyday research life and is designed to promote impactful research and to support your development beyond your disciplinary area.
Who is it for?Recognising the need to engage with you as a researcher wherever you are in your career, the programme is designed around two cohorts – one for early-career staff and one with an established researcher focus.
You may be interested if you:Want to take your research to the next level. This programme will challenge you to set inspiring goals, and to stick to them.
Are struggling to balance different demands of the job. This programme will engage you in reprioritising and moving forward with your agenda.
Have research that is flagging. This programme will offer a boost to reignite your motivation and potential.
Are unsure of what the future holds. This programme will create a constructive process of engagement and offer a platform for taking next steps.
For all involved, the programme will be an opportunity to expand internal networks, create effective strategies to enhance research performance while managing the other demands of your job.
Programme structureThe programme runs from January to July 2015 and consists of two elements:
Element 1: Coaching
The programme starts with an interactive and experiential one day workshop followed by group coaching. The workshop focuses on core foundations around your research, including engaging with values, managing the inner critic, finding motivation, focus and confidence. The focus of the coaching is down to the goals you set; writing, grants, managing projects, impact. It provides a structure of challenge and accountability to achieve them.
Element 2: Research events
These run throughout the programme, covering a range of topics, all of which are related to Vitae’s Research Development Framework:
- Managing research data - Domain C
- Early career research and impact - Domain D
- Fundamentals of research project management - Domain C
- Enhancing your research networks - Domain D
- Proposal writing - Domains C and D
- Ethical research and research integrity - Domain C
- Engaging communities - Domain D
- Planning and costing research grants - Domain C
- Strategic publishing and journal reviewing - Domain D
- Dissemination beyond papers - Domain D
As a participant, you must be willing to commit to the following:
• Attendance at the launch event on 4 December from 9.30-12.30pm in the LICA building
• Attendance at the relevant coaching induction session in January (6th for the early career cohort and 8th for the established researchers’ cohort)
• Participating in group coaching sessions throughout the programme (accessed via phone)
• A minimum of 3 of the research events (detailed here)