for Heads of Departments
This guidance draws attention to the key features of the document ‘Rules Governing Outside Professional Activities’ (HR/791). The document was significantly revised in September 2009 to reflect the creation of LUCS.
University contracts permit staff on grades 6 and above to engage in outside professional activity at the University’s discretion. The following conditions apply:
- All work must be disclosed and approved in advance
- The work must normally occupy no more than one day per week
- The work must be carried out within the member of staff’s professional field of expertise
- The work contributes to professional development through interaction with industry, business, government or other institutions
- The work will not prevent the member of staff from fulfilling their full range of obligations to the University.
If the above conditions are met, there will be no loss of salary.
Prior to undertaking new work members of staff must:
- obtain the permission of the Head of Department by completing the PS/98/791/A form (annually renewable)
Download the (HR/791/A) form.
- comply with LUCS procedural requirements for consultancy where relevant
- for work not undertaken via LUCS or the University, provide the Head of Department with a letter from the commissioning body or person releasing the University from all liabilities.
Head of Departments:
- must ensure that any request does not prevent the member of staff from fulfilling the full range of their obligations to the University
- may grant permission for no more than 1 year (after which the member of staff should renew their request)
- must hold records of consent given to enable reporting on them if requested.
The procedure for Consultancy work carried out via LUCS can be obtained from the RES web psite http://www.lancs.ac.uk/researchenterprise/i/lucs_welcome.html. Conflicts of interest, pecuniary and other, can arise in many situations. Members of staff must declare their interest in outside organisations.
This is a complex area. Heads of Departments should seek advice if in any doubt from the Research and Enterprises Service Division or the University Secretary.
Review Date July 2014