Help and Support
You can find a wide range of information about our services and how to use them in 'Answers'.
If you still need help, then the ISS Service Desk provides a friendly, approachable point of contact for all your IT related problems and queries.
When and how you can contact us
Normal term-time opening times:
- 9am-5.30pm Monday to Wednesday
- 9am-5pm Thursday and Friday
- For urgent lecture theatre faults in weeks 1-4 of Michaelmas term:
- 8.30am-7pm Monday, Tuesday and Thursday
- 8.30am-5.30pm Wednesday
- 8.30am-5pm Friday
How you can contact us:
- In person at the Learning Zone Support Desk
- Phone us from internal campus phones on 10987
Not on campus?:
- Phone us on +44 (0)1524 510987
- Email us at email@example.com
Note that if you need help with your device off campus we can still offer remote desktop support.
What happens when you contact us
If you contact us by phone or in person, we will:
- Ask for your username to log the call.
- Ask questions to help us diagnose the fault or fully understand the request.
- Aim to resolve your issue at first-line, and if we can't we will assign it to a technical specialist for further investigation.
- Give you a call reference number to assist in tracking the progress of the call.
It is helpful for us if you:
- Have your username to hand (e.g. bloggsj). This is so that we can log the call correctly for you (we will never ask you for your password).
- Depending on the nature of the query we may also ask you to provide us the machine name of your device. If this is not available, then the IP address of the machine would also help. On ISS supported computers the name and IP address can be viewed via the PCInfo icon on the desktop.
- We may also need to know where you are located, e.g. department, building and room number.
- Are ready to describe the problem in detail, including having copies of any error messages you may have received to hand.
Out of hours
Outside the opening hours shown above you can:
Problems and requests will be monitored and responded to within the standard opening hours shown.
We attempt to keep University IT services available 24/7. Systems are monitored round the clock and issues with critical systems responded to, even out of hours. Details of known issues are on our web site Issues & Alerts - or follow us on twitter @ISSLancaster.