SIP - Service Improvement Project
To improve ISS service delivery at Lancaster University
As at 21st August 2012
- An IT Service Management Strategy was presented to IT Policy Committee in October 2010. ISS Service Governance Meetings are being held every 2 months.
- IT Partners have been established to ensure that ISS is satisfying the business needs of the University through the delivery of its Services and to assist in developing business cases for new service requirements.
- An ISS Service Catalogue has been developed, which lists all ISS Services and links to the top FAQ's in LancasterAnswers.
- SupportWorks call logging & tracking software is being implemented (from supplier Hornbill) initially for ISS. Student Based Services are also planning to start implementing this from autumn 2012. This software could also be useful for many other areas of the University
- LancasterAnswers Knowledge Management software went 'live' in May 2012 with 37,000 built-in IT 'solutions' and over 800 local Lancaster Uni solutions - 600+ for ISS and 200+ for Student Based Services. A mobile version is also available in iLancaster. Other areas of Central Services are writing solutions over summer 2012.
- Process flow diagrams and procedures have been developed for Incident Management (including Major Incident Management) and Request Fulfillment. We are planning to implement a formal Change Management process. A separate project has been set up to implement Asset Management.
ISS will introduce IT Service Management (ITSM) best practice to make a significant improvement to its IT Service Delivery. The major benefits for the University will be:
- improved service quality
- improved ability for ISS to respond to business change
This will be measured by end users of IT experiencing more efficient and effective IT services and University colleagues having improved dialogue with ISS about its service strategy and how its services meet the business needs.
This was a 2-year fixed term project. The first Project Board meeting was September 2010 and the project closed in July 2012. The Project Board comprised:
- Project Executive
- John Gallagher (Director, ISS)
- Senior Users:
- Tom Finnigan (Director of Student Based Services)
- Susan Atherton (LUMS School Administrator)
- Rachel Fligelstone (Head of ISS Service Strategy & Communications)
- Senior Suppliers:
- Chris Dixon (Head of ISS Service Delivery & Operations)
- Nick Burd (Head of ISS Technical Infrastructure Group)
- Andrew Meikle (Head of ISS Corporate Information Systems)
- Project Manager:
- Pauline Woods-Wilson (ISS Head of Service Design & Project Quality)
For more details please contact the Project Manager, Pauline Woods-Wilson.