Computer user agreement
As a member of the University you have agreed to this 'Computer User Agreement' which is part of the 'Rules of the University'.
Security of your University Account
You will keep your University Account secure, to protect your personal information as well as University data.
- Never share your password with anyone else. It is the 'key' which gives access to your University Account and it should be kept secure at all times.
Use of University systems
Your use of any University owned facilities (e.g. PC Lab computer, ResNet, office PC) and of any University system (e.g. email) must be within the Rules of the University, as well as within the Janet (Joint Academic Network) Acceptable Use Policy and within UK law.
- Never copy or share any material, data or programs that do not belong to you (e.g. copyrighted films, music files, or software licensed to the University).
- Never use your University Account for illegal, abusive or threatening purposes (e.g. to create indecent material, send aggressive emails, or ridicule others).
- Always adhere to the Data Protection Act when storing personal information about others.
You will not deliberately attempt to damage, share or pass to others any University owned equipment, system, software, or information stored on University systems.
- Never try to gain illegal access (hack) into any computer network or computer related equipment that does not belong to you.
- Always leave computers and IT equipment in good working order when you have finished using them, and do not remove them from their location.
- Always use up-to-date antivirus software on any computer that you connect to the University network. You can get free antivirus software from the ISS Service Desk.
Inappropriate commercial activity
You will not use University IT equipment or applications for personal financial gain (e.g. to host a web site selling your own goods or services).