Transfer of data from SILO storage to LUNA storage
We’re transferring data from the existing SILO storage facility to a new LUNA storage facility.
The new LUNA storage will:
- Have more capacity and sufficient growth capacity for our 5 year predictions.
- Be higher performance than the existing SILO storage.
Schedule for transfer of data
|Faculty/Department||Transfer of data starts||Filestore available for use again|
(e.g. Library, CSAS etc.)
|Tuesday 09 Oct, 6pm||Completed, available|
|FASS||Sunday 11 Nov, 6pm||Completed, available|
|FHM||Sunday 18 Nov, 6pm||Completed, available|
|LUMS||Sunday 25 Nov, 6pm||Monday 26 Nov, 8am|
|FST||Sunday 09 Dec, 6pm||Monday 10 Dec, 8am|
|ISS||Sunday 16 Dec, 6pm||Monday 17 Dec, 8am|
- If you have data stored on SILO that is no longer needed, please delete it.
- See above schedule for start time.
- During transfer, your data stored at \\lancs\silo\(faculty name) will be Read only (i.e. existing data can be viewed, but changes to existing data cannot be made and new data cannot be stored).
- See above schedule for how long the transfer of data takes, and when the new storage will be available for use.
- After transfer, your data will be stored at \\lancs\luna\(faculty name) and will be Read write (i.e. existing data can be viewed and changed, and new data can be stored).
Note that to access LUNA:
- From off campus you’ll need to use VPN.
- On a Mac you’ll need to connect via smb://luna.lancs.ac.uk/(faculty name)
- On operating systems other than Mac you’ll need to connect via \\luna.lancs.ac.uk\(faculty name)
Problems after transfer
You may have some applications/systems that also access the storage facility – issues relating to this after the transfer of data to LUNA may be resolved by restarting the application/system. If this doesn’t work, follow the advice below.
If you experience a problem accessing or using the LUNA storage facility after the transfer, please contact your Faculty IT team or the ISS Service Desk.