Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS)
The Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) Qualification demonstrates that you have specialist skills in using Microsoft applications.
As a member of Lancaster University current staff and students have the opportunity to self-study one or more MOS qualifications. Microsoft estimate each qualification is around 40 learning hours and each are a qualification in their own right.
The qualification exam packages currently available via ISS training in Microsoft Office 2010 and 2013 are:
- Outlook - this is not 'Outlook.com' or 'Office365 Outlook'
(qualification applies to Postgraduates and Staff as an exchange email account is required)
Expert level is also available in Microsoft Word and Excel. Expert level assumes completion of a previous level, or equivalent knowledge and experience. All MOS qualifications are entirely self study.
- Expert levels in 2013 consist of two separate exams for each qualification. Part A exam (included in the initial registration) and part B exam (additional fee applies)
- Registration for MOS is only available on Microsoft Office 2010/2013 for Windows and not on any other versions or other operating systems
- The PC that you are using to access GMetrix practice exam software will need to have the relevant version of Microsoft Office installed (i.e. the one you have chosen to study).
- GMetrix will not work at all if you have more than one version of Office installed
- You need your Lancaster University log in credentials to access the MOS exams, therefore you need to be a current student or member of staff at the time of taking any MOS exam
- All MOS exams (including resits) expire September, 2016
- MOS exams are non-transferable and can only be taken in the designated exam room on campus at Lancaster University
- You have to wait at least 24 hours before taking a resit on the first failed attempt (fees apply)
- For any consequent resit you have to wait at least 48 hours (fees apply)
How much does it cost?
The current discounted fee is £15.00 for students and £28.00 for staff per exam package (includes eBook along with associated practice files, access code for GMetrix practice exams and one attempt at the associated Microsoft Office Specialist exam). No refund is available.
How do I study and take the exam?
1. Register and pay for your chosen MOS qualification
- Prior to submitting your registration if you are unsure of anything please email iss-training and ask
- MOS qualifications are only available to current students and staff of Lancaster University
- You must register using your Lancaster University email address for your registration to be valid
- On receipt of your registration ISS training will email all details you will need within 5 working days
- If you are a staff member and wish to register using journal transfer - please email iss-training
2. Self-study using the online eBook along with practice files and GMetrix practice exams
3. Book a MOS Exam slot
If you wish to discuss MOS in further detail please contact iss-training