Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS)
The Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) Certificate demonstrates that you have specialist skills in using Microsoft applications.
As a member of Lancaster University, you can self-study one or more MOS qualifications at your own pace. Each are a qualification in their own right. Each qualification is around 40 learning hours.
The qualifications available in Microsoft Office 2010 and 2013 are:
- Outlook - this is not 'Outlook.com' or 'Office365 Outlook'
(qualification applies to Postgraduates and Staff as an exchange email account is required)
Expert level is also available in Microsoft Word and/or Excel. Expert level assumes completion of a previous level, or equivalent knowledge and experience. All MOS qualifications are entirely self study. Please note:
- Expert levels in 2013 consist of two separate exams for each qualification (part A and part B - fees apply to each separate exam part)
All exams to be taken before 29 September 2015.
Please note: Registration for MOS is only available on Microsoft Office 2010/2013 for Windows and not on any other versions or other operating systems.
How much does it cost?
The current discounted fee is £15.00 for students and £28.00 for staff per exam. This includes eBook, GMetrix practice exam software and one attempt at the exam (exams are non-transferable and can only be taken in the designated exam room on campus at Lancaster University by 29th September 2015). No refund is available.
- The PC that you are using to access GMetrix will need to have the Microsoft Office 2010/2013 applications installed
- You need your Lancaster University log in credentials to access the exams, therefore you need to be a current student or member of staff at the time of taking any exam
- All exams (including resits) have to be taken before 29 September, 2015
- One FREE resit exam per person (subject to availability)
- You have to wait at least 24 hours before taking a resit on the first failed attempt
- For any consequent resit you have to wait at least 48 hours (fees apply)
How do I study and take the exam?
1. Register and pay for your chosen MOS qualification
- MOS qualifications are only available to students and staff of Lancaster University
- You must register using your Lancaster University email address for your registration to be valid - we will email you within 5 working days with the details you need
- If you are a staff member and wish to register using journal transfer - please email email@example.com
2. Self-study using provided electronic training guides and GMetrix practice exam software
3. Attend a MOS revision session (optional)
4. Book a MOS Exam slot and take a task-based invigilated exam which typically lasts 60 minutes - on completion the exam results are displayed immediately on screen
If you wish to discuss if MOS is suitable for you, or for any further information, please contact iss-training