The ISS Unixmail service can be accessed several ways:
- Webmail - there is a Webmail client.
- Windows/Mac Clients - there are various Windows and Mac clients that can access Unixmail.
- Pine and/or Mutt - 'native' Unix mail clients for accessing the Unixmail service.
Here are some step by step instructuions for using the Pine email client:
- type 'pine' to start the mailer.
- if this is the first time you've started pine press either 'e' or 'Return' to skip pass the greeting - see 'inbox loading' message.
- - if you asked for your username and password again - put them in again as prompted.
- press 'c' to compose a message.
- type the email address to send it to, then press enter.
- type any CC addresses you want and press enter when done.
- type the path to the file you want to attach in the 'Attchmnt' field, then press enter. Once you've pressed enter it will print the size of the file after it if you have typed the path correctly.
- type the subject you want into the 'Subject' field. Press enter.
- type your message.
- press 'Ctrl + x' to indicate you're done.
- press 'y' to indicate you're sure and wish to send the message.
- if you havent' sent mail before press 'y' when prompted by the text "Folder 'sent-mail' doesn't exist. Create?"
- press 'q' then 'y' to quit Pine.
Here are some step by step instructuions for using the Mutt email client:
First time of use only...
- type: mutt
- press 'a' to accept the licence.
- press 'a' to accept the licence again(!).
- proceed as below...
Instructions for general use...
- type 'mutt' to start the mailer then press Enter to clear the message - see a prompt for your Password.
- enter your password to grant it access to your IMAP mail folder - see list of messages.
- press 'm' for a new mail.
- type the email address at the 'To: ' prompt, then press Enter.
- type the subject at the 'Subject: ' prompt, then press Enter - see a MicroEMACS edit screen appear.
- type your message using the editor (type :help and press Enter for instructions).
- save your message (type "[ESC]:wq" in Vi*)
- press 'a' to attach a file, this will give you the "Attach file" prompt, you can type the path to the file and use the [tab] key to complete parts.
- press 'y' to send the message.
- press 'q' to quit Mutt.
*Mutt uses the default editor Vi to edit messages. For more information about Vi type man vi at the prompt. Other editors such as MicroEMACs are available.
Last updated: Monday, 08-Nov-2010 20:11:05 GMT