Research Degree Opportunities
You are welcome to propose your own research project for both PhD and Masters by Research study on a self-funded basis
We can provide some support to self-funding applicants pursuing financial support from funding bodies. Recent self-funding applicants have successfully received funding from Science Without Borders, British Commonwealth Scholarship, China Scholarship Council and the Petroleum Technology Development Fund.
Alternatively, we offer a number of pre-determined research projects, normally linked to our funded studentships. A full list of the research degree opportunities currently available at LEC can be found here.
Here are a few examples of the type of research being undertaken by our students:
- Impacts of invasive plant species on ecosystem functioning in the UK and New Zealand (Faculty Studentship)
- Tracing pollution and sea water intrusion in groundwater systems of the Pearl River Basin, China (NERC Studentship)
- Benefits of controlled soil drying on crop yields: disentangling nutritional and phytohormonal effects (BBSRC Studentship)
- Catchment Scale Modeling Pollution (sponsored by Unilever)
- Experimental Volcanology (Marie Curie Fellowship)
- Subterranean Hydrocarbon Blues (ESRC Studentship)