What we offer
Lancaster has one of the best student experiences in the UK. We boast world-class facilities, internationally renowned academics and flexible study paths.
Choice and flexibility
You can choose between our 3-year B.Sc. or 4-year M.Sci degree programmes. The first year of our degrees provide students with the opportunity to link key global challenges, such as maintaining biodiversity, to human use of the environment and human health. You can specialise more in subsequent years, choosing modules that allow you to develop your interests in specific aspects of biology. This flexibility also means it’s easy to move between programmes if you find your passions lie in a particular discipline.
We offer exciting opportunities for practical work, in the laboratory or in the field , in most of our modules. You will gain hands-on experience to complement your academic studies and learn the cutting-edge techniques required of a well-qualified practising scientist.
The opportunity to study abroad for a year in North America or Australasia on our study abroad degree programme or to spend time in other European countries via the Erasmus scheme is an exciting option.
You will also undertake a dissertation project, under the guidance of an active researcher. These could be in our high-quality laboratories using state-of-the-art instrumentation, or field-based, attached to ongoing research projects in the UK or overseas.
Students benefit from
- excellent student to staff ratios
- small tutorial groups
- friendly, available and enthusiastic lecturers
- excellent pastoral care provided by departmental tutors and college advisors
What we offer
- Students choose from a wide range of innovative degree programmes
- Exciting field trips and residential field courses exposing students to wide-ranging topics and perspectives
- Brand new labs, equipment and friendly support staff
- Option to study abroad from a term to a year
- Work with industry facilitated by an in-house business partnership team
- Excellent academic, employability, pastoral and welfare support
- Popular and highly regarded collegiate system
- All lecturers have international profiles and are engaged in diverse and cutting edge research