What we offer
Lancaster has one of the best student experiences in the UK. We boast world-class facilities, internationally renowned academics and flexible study paths.
Choice and flexibility
All these programmes have 3-year BSc and 4-year MSci options. The first year focuses on the core understanding of the Earth’s systems, but you will also take modules that deal with a number of globally significant environmental challenges, including producing sufficient food for a growing population, meeting future demands for energy, adapting to floods and droughts and preventing or mitigating soil and water pollution. You can switch between programmes up until the end of your first year, ensuring you are studying the subject that most interests you. In subsequent years, you get a greater choice of modules and can become more specialised, meaning that you can design your degree to match your interests and career aspirations.
We offer exciting practical opportunities to complement your academic studies in most of our modules. You will spend time in the laboratory, in the field and develop computer models, learning the cutting-edge techniques required of a well-qualified practising scientist.
As well as studying in the varied and beautiful landscapes surrounding Lancaster, fieldwork may include examining volcanic hazards on Mount Etna in Sicily, water and environmental management in Croatia, or the interactions between glaciers and volcanoes in Iceland. Your research dissertation between years two and three also provide many opportunities for practical experience, including working abroad, for example examining mountain-belt tectonics in the Himalayas or tropical hydrology in Borneo. You also have the choice to work with a business or industry partner for your dissertation, providing valuable work experience.
Students benefit from
- excellent student to staff ratios
- small tutorial groups
- friendly, available and enthusiastic lecturers
- excellent pastoral care provided by departmental tutors and college advisors
What we offer
- Flexible degrees with a substantial choice: choose from BSc and MSci programmes, study abroad for a year or for shorter periods, select modules from across the university.
- Study within the Lancaster Environment Centre, a £35 million, state-of-the-art centre for the environmental sciences
- Cutting-edge research and research-led teaching: 3rd in the UK for the impact of our research in the 2014 Research Excellence Framework
- Brand new, £4 million teaching laboratories opened in 2015
- Exciting fieldwork opportunities across the UK, Europe, Iceland and Asia
- Work with business and industry, facilitated by our in-house Enterprise and Business Partnerships team
- Excellent academic, employability, pastoral and welfare support
- Small tutorial groups and excellent staff to student ratios
- Popular and highly regarded collegiate system