What we offer
Lancaster has one of the best student experiences in the UK. We boast world-class facilities, internationally renowned academics and flexible study paths.
Choice and flexibility
You can choose between our 3-year B.Sc. or 4-year M.Sci degree programmes. The first year of our degree combines introductory ecology and conservation biology alongside broader modules introducing key environmental issues. You will also have the option to take modules in Environmental Science, Geography and beyond. This flexibility means it’s easy to move between programmes if you find your passions lie in a particular discipline.
We offer exciting opportunities for practical work in virtually all of our modules in the laboratory or in the field. You will gain hands-on experience to complement your academic studies and learn the cutting-edge techniques required of a well-qualified practising scientist. For many students, the field trips and residential field courses are the highlights of their study. These include day trips to the unique and varied landscapes near Lancaster, and longer field courses to Spain, Scotland, the Brazilian Amazon, and Africa.
You will also undertake a dissertation project, under the guidance of an active researcher. This could be in our high-quality research laboratories or field-based, attached to ongoing research projects in the UK or overseas.
Students on specific degree programmes study abroad for a year in North America or Australasia while others may choose to spend time in other European countries via the Erasmus scheme.
Students benefit from
- excellent student to staff ratios
- small tutorial groups
- friendly, available and enthusiastic lecturers
- excellent pastoral care provided by departmental tutors and college advisors
What we offer
- Unique location for field trips to the Forest of Bowland and the Lake District and Yorkshire Dales National Parks
- Exciting international field courses exposing students to wide-ranging topics and perspectives
- Brand new labs, equipment and friendly support staff
- Option to study abroad from a term to a year
- Work with industry facilitated by an in-house business partnership team
- Excellent academic, employability, pastoral and welfare support
- All lecturers have international profiles and are engaged in diverse and cutting edge research
- Popular and highly regarded collegiate system