What we offer
We boast world-class facilities, internationally renowned academics and flexible study paths, resulting in an exceptional student experience.
Choice and flexibility
You can choose between our 3-year BSc or 4-year MSci degree programmes. The first year of our degrees introduce you to ecology and conservation biology, along with other modules about key environmental issues. You will also have the opportunity to study a minor subject, which could be in Environmental Science, Geography or a subject from the wider university. This flexibility means it’s easy to move between programmes if you find your passions lie in a particular discipline.
As part of your degree, you will gain hands-on experience to complement your academic studies and also develop your practical skills. Many of our modules offer exciting opportunities for practical work in either the laboratory or the field, enabling you to put the academic theory learnt in lectures into practice.
You can also enhance your studies, boost your self-confidence and immerse yourself in the culture of another country as part of our exciting opportunities to study overseas in either North America or Australasia with our Study Abroad option, or in Europe through the Erasmus+ scheme.
A highlight of our degrees are the residential field courses, including to Spain, Scotland, Kenya and Brazil. You will also have the opportunity to take shorter local field excursions, which are a great opportunity to apply your academic knowledge in the field.
You will also undertake a research project under the guidance of an active researcher. This is an excellent opportunity to put the skills learnt throughout your degree into practice, and you could head out into the field to undertake research in an area of interest to you.
Students benefit from
- Excellent student to staff ratios
- Small tutorial groups
- Friendly and enthusiastic lecturers
- Outstanding pastoral care, provided by both your department and college
What we offer
- Exciting fieldwork opportunities, in both the UK and overseas
- A unique location for fieldwork, nearby to the Lake District and Yorkshire Dales
- High quality facilities, equipment and friendly support staff
- Opportunity to study abroad, ranging from a term to a full year
- Placement opportunities, facilitated by an in-house business partnership team