Study in N. America, Australasia or Iceland

You could have the exciting opportunity of spending a full year studying at an overseas university.

Students applying through UCAS to the following 3 and 4 year degrees have the opportunity to spend the whole of their 2nd year studying overseas:

  • Biological Sciences (Study Abroad) BSc (C102)
  • Earth & Environmental Science (Study Abroad) BSc (FF6V) and MSci (FF86)
  • Ecology & Conservation (Study Abroad) BSc (C182)
  • Environmental Biology (Study Abroad) BSc (C151) and MSci (C155)
  • Environmental Science (Study Abroad) BSc (F754) And MSci (F851)
  • Geography / North America BSc (F802)
  • Geography / North America BA (L701)
  • Physical Geography / Australasia BSc (F847)

A-level entry grades are slightly higher for our study abroad degrees compared to our ‘standard’ degrees. However, you will automatically be offered a place on the equivalent standard degree as a back-up, so there is no need to apply for both.

If, at any time during your first year, you decide that you no longer want to go abroad, you can simply switch to one of our standard degree schemes. So it is worth applying, even if you’re not sure that you want to go abroad, to keep the option open!

How does it work?

You will spend a full academic year abroad, studying courses comparable to those that you would have taken at Lancaster. The grades that you are awarded abroad will count towards your Lancaster degree.

You will become a full member of your overseas university during your year abroad, but you will also have a dedicated study abroad advisor at Lancaster who will monitor your progress and help resolve any difficulties encountered.

Accommodation is arranged at the host university; usually you will be offered a room on the university campus.

Advisors in our International Office will help you to complete all the relevant paperwork, such as application forms and visas.

Note that your year abroad will start a little earlier than the academic year at Lancaster (late July for Australasia, or August/September for North America and Iceland), and will finish between April and June the following year.

There will be lots of opportunities to go travelling during weekends and holidays, and you may also be able to stay abroad a little longer at the end of your placement to do research for your final year dissertation.

Where can I go?

The choice of destinations varies slightly from year to year, and also depends on your degree. The table below shows which destinations may be available and suitable for each degree.



In your first term at Lancaster you will attend a series of briefings about studying abroad, and have the opportunity to chat to students who have recently returned from a year abroad.

You will need to decide in December whether you definitely want a place abroad, and if so, where you would prefer to go.

Your academic advisor will then allocate provisional places (conditional upon getting good grades in your first year), and help you to select appropriate courses.

We cannot guarantee that everyone will get their first choice of destination. However, past experience has convinced us that, wherever you are placed, you will have an excellent educational experience and a fantastic time socially!

How much will it cost?

Lancaster University will waive 85% of the tuition fee for the year abroad, a saving of £7,650 for students admitted to Lancaster in 2014/15. There are no additional tuition fees payable to your overseas university.

There are some extra expenses associated with studying abroad, such as flights, insurance, extra books and obtaining a visa – and you will probably want to do some travelling while you are there…!

Subject to means-testing, financial help may be available from:

  • A tuition fee loan
  • An enhanced maintenance loan (£6,535 in 2013/14, which is £1,035 more than the standard loan)
  • A Government Travel Grant to cover travel expenses and insurance (but you pay the first £303).
  • An Erasmus grant of around 370 Euros per month (for placements in Iceland only)

You can also work part-time during your year abroad if you wish, although there may be restrictions on where and how many hours you are allowed to work.


Who to contact for further information

Dr Emily Heath (Study Abroad Co-ordinator)

Tel: 01524-594309