Current Prepayment and Offsetting Schemes
Lancaster University has set up deposit accounts with some publishers, allowing prepayment of Article Processing Charges for UKRI research. These prepayment schemes are advantageous as they make gold OA payments easier and quicker to process and therefore enable your paper to be uploaded sooner. They also offer a small discount on each Article Processing Charge.
Lancaster University Library has deposited some of its UKRI funding into these prepayment schemes:
We also have OA membership of the Royal Society, giving discount on APCs.
For papers accepted from 30 November 2018 onwards the Library has prepaid for APCs offering a 5% discount for authors who are UKRI funded. Authors must select the CC BY licence to comply with open access policies. Please contact email@example.com for more details.
For papers accepted between 30 November 2017 and 29 November 2018 the Library paid a flat fee for unlimited open access publishing for authors who are UKRI and Wellcome Trust funded at Lancaster University.
IEEE offers a wide range of journal titles which allow authors to publish open access papers. Authors can choose to submit papers to:
- Any of the 6 fully open access topical journals
- IEEE's award-winning fully open access multi-disciplinary Mega journal - IEEE Access
- Any of the 100 plus IEEE hybrid journal titles - many with established impact factors
More information on IEEE's Open Access titles.
Information and tools to assist with all stages of publishing with IEEE.
Lancaster University has a Wiley Open Access Account and pays centrally for your open access publication charges. This means that as a researcher from Lancaster University you can publish research articles in a hybrid or fully open access journal published by Wiley without directly paying any open access publication charges. Wiley currently offers the following open access options to authors:
- OnlineOpen: a hybrid open access option for 1240 journals.
- Wiley Open Access: a program of fully open access journals. This is a new publishing program of open access journals publishing peer-reviewed research across broad subject disciplines in the life and biomedical sciences. The first journals in the program to launch include: Brain and Behavior; Ecology and Evolution; Evolutionary Applications; MicrobiologyOpen; Cancer Medicine; Chemistry Open; Food and Energy Security; Food Science & Nutrition; EMBO Molecular Medicine; Geoscience Data Journal.
When accepted for publication you will be taken to Author Services to log in:
- Author selects funder/funders from drop-down list and clicks “Add New” to add funders
- OnlineOpen Selection: Author selects “Yes. I would like to order OnlineOpen” and clicks “Next”
- License Agreement Signing. Since the author selected UKRI and OnlineOpen there is only one licence based on the choices author made during the workflow - the CCBY licence - and the system navigates to the licence agreement signing page. Author is displayed with an Open Access Agreement CCBY licence agreement with merged fields for electronic signing.
Lancaster University has set up a Prepay Membership with BioMed Central for BMC and Springer Open journals. This allows a discount of 5% on Open Access Article Processing Charges for UKRI funded research. Please note that before using this prepayment option you must complete the online application form for UKRI Open Access funding and receive approval before proceeding.
The Open Access team will supply a discount code once your funding application has been approved. Please note that Springer Open Choice journals are considered separately.
Lancaster University has a Read & Publish agreement with the RSC allowing free open access publication in its hybrid journals. This is for both UKRI funded and non-funded papers. Please see details on how to publish open access.
Lancaster University is participating in an open access agreement with Springer where Article Processing Charges for Lancaster corresponding authors are covered for Open Choice journals: these open access titles are listed on Springer Nature's website. This is for both UKRI funded and non-funded papers. (Please note, this scheme covers charges for journals listed as Hybrid (Open Choice) only, not those that are Fully Open Access).
All submissions from Lancaster University, whether UKRI funded or not, are eligible for discounted Article Processing Charges of £200 (from SAGE Choice Scheme and SAGE Premier title list). Authors must quote the code NESLi2017 on the SAGE Choice publishing agreement (in the University/Institution Account Code field) you are sent on acceptance of your article. Authors should then return the SAGE Choice Invoice Template to the relevant email address at SAGE as instructed on the form. The discount cannot be applied retrospectively and only applies to hybrid journals (not fully open access).
To use the prepayment fund (for UKRI-funded research) authors will need to supply Lancaster University's institutional payment code. Please note that before using this prepayment option you must complete the online application form for UKRI Open Access funding and receive approval before proceeding.
When your application for funding has been processed and approved then you should receive details of this code. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with queries, or for queries relating to SAGE Choice please email email@example.com
Lancaster University has set up a prepayment scheme with Taylor and Francis. It gives authors a 75% discount on Article Processing Charges. Please note that before using this prepayment option you must complete the online application form for UKRI Open Access funding and receive approval before proceeding.
The author will be given different options and instructions upon submission. If your research is funded by UKRI then choose the Open Select publication route (Gold Open Access). Lancaster will appear on the list of participants in the prepayment scheme and you will be asked to contact firstname.lastname@example.org (with your full name, article and journal title and details of any funding).
Taylor and Francis have provided information on their Author Services site including a detailed list of Open Access license options, embargo periods and APCs by journal.
Lancaster University has an Open Access Membership with the Royal Society. This grants members a 25% discount on standard Article Processing Charges in the following journals:
- Open Biology (an Open Access journal)
- Biology Letters
- Interface Focus
- Journal of the Royal Society Interface
- Notes and Records of the Royal Society
- Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences
- Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences
- Proceedings of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences
- Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences
- Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Royal Society
Please remember to identify yourself as part of a member institution in order to receive the 25% discount on your open access article processing charge. This discount is applicable to Lancaster authors whose research is funded or unfunded.
See further details on the Royal Society’s Members page.