Finding non-UK Theses
Many theses and dissertations are available electronically free-of-charge or for a small fee.
Where the thesis is not available electronically, please contact our Interlending and Document Supply service for advice.
Dissertations and Theses from ProQuest
Contains information on dissertations and theses from many countries across the world.
Its coverage of the USA and Canada is comprehensive and includes masters' as well as doctoral theses. Coverage of other countries is less thorough, but there are records from individual countries as far apart as the Czech Republic, Australia, Thailand, Saudi Arabia and Germany. Coverage of the US goes back to 1861. It includes well over two million records.
Recent US theses (from 1997) allow you to see the first 24 pages of the work free-of-charge. The full text of many US theses may be downloaded for a charge of around £35, which you pay using a credit card.
Electronic Theses Around the World
Many universities make some of their theses available electronically, free-of-charge The resources here will help you find them.
NDLTD – An Open Access Initiative union catalogue of theses and dissertations from many countries, which are all immediately available electronically. There are links through to institutional repositories.
Open Access Theses and Dissertations – This is an index of over 1.6 million electronic theses and dissertations (ETDs) which are freely available over the web.
Theses and Dissertations by Country or Region
- Trove – Access to lists of ALL Australian theses and dissertations, and to a database of Australian doctoral theses freely available electronically.
- Dissertationsdatenbank – covers Austria.
- Theses.fr – Details of theses awarded in France, with access to the full text of around 5,000 of them. Also information on theses in preparation
- SUDOC – is a French union catalogue which can be restricted to searches on theses and dissertations completed at universities in France.
- South African National ETD portal – Electronic theses submitted to universities in South Africa
- Dialnet – Theses at Spanish universities, many with links to full text.