The Lancaster Bookshelf
This list contains books by members of staff at Lancaster University Department of Linguistics and English Language.
All books on this list are written at a level accessible to teachers of English Language. Some of them can be used directly by A-level students while others will contain examples and data which students can use. This list contains books by members of staff at Lancaster University Department of Linguistics and English Language. All books on this list are written at a level accessible to teachers of English Language. Some of them can be used directly by A-level students while others will contain examples and data which students can use.
- Barton, David (1994): Literacy: an introduction to the ecology of written language. Oxford, Blackwell.
- Culpeper, Jonathan (1997) History of English. Routledge
- Fairclough, Norman (1989): Language and Power. London, Longman
- Fairclough, Norman 1992. Discourse and Social Change. Polity.
- Fairclough, Norman 1995. Media Discourse. London: Edward Arnold.
- Fairclough, Norman 1995. Critical Discourse Analysis. London: Longman.
- Katamba, Francis 1989. An Introduction to Phonology. Longman.
- Knowles, Gerry 1997. A Cultural History of the English Language. Edward Arnold
- Knowles, Gerry 1987. Patterns of Spoken English. Longman.
- Leech, Geoffrey 1981. Semantics. Penguin.
- Leech, Geoffrey A Linguistic Guide to English Poetry
- Leech, Geoffrey Principles of Pragmatics
- Leech, Geoffrey and Mick Short (1984): Style in Fiction. Longman.
- Leech, Geoffrey and Svartvik, J. A. 1994. Communicative Grammar of English (2nd ed.) Longman 1994
- Myers, Greg (1994): Words in Ads. Edward Arnold.
- O'Grady, Dobrovolsky, M. & Francis Katamba Contemporary Linguistics: An Introduction. Longman. 1997
- Sebba, Mark (1997): Contact Languages: Pidgins and Creoles. Macmillan.
- Sebba, Mark (1993): London Jamaican: language systems in interaction. London: Longman. (Real Language series).
- Sebba, Mark (1995) Focussing on Language: A Student's Guide to Research planning, Data Collection, Analysis and Writing Up. Revised Edition. (Booklet for A-level English Language Students.) Lancaster, Definite Article Publications. 32pp. (See Definite Article Publications web site for more information)
- Semino, Elena (1997) Language and World Creation in Poems and Other Texts. Longman
- Short, Mick (1996) Exploring the Language of Plays, Poems and Prose. Longman.
- Short, Mick (ed.) Reading, Analysing and Teaching Literature. Longman.
- Sunderland, Jane (1994). Exploring Gender: Questions and Implications for English Language Education. Prentice Hall.