Aims of the Course
Study Start is a 2-week induction course designed to help international students get the best possible start for their degree at Lancaster University.
- To assist international students in settling in to the academic culture of the UK
- To raise awareness of writing conventions in different academic discourse communities
- To develop and practise effective study and time management skills
- To develop referencing skills
- To raise awareness of the expectations and standards at the appropriate level of study
- To maximize students’ chances of succeeding in their degree programmes in the UK
- While other new students are still finding their way round campus and struggling to figure out where things are, you will have had a chance to discover everything Lancaster has to offer you as an international student.
The main assessment method is a written assignment (1000 words) to be submitted in several stages before final submission at the end of the course. The feedback you get on this assignment will help you decide which aspects of your work to prioritise when your degree coursework starts.
There will be a reception at the beginning of the course, a weekend trip to another UK city (e.g. York, Chester or Manchester), and an end-of-course party. In addition, you will have some free time to socialise with Study Start students and students on other summer programmes in a number of venues on campus and in Lancaster town centre.
Download the Study Start Factsheet PDF (PDF)