Many Lancaster University departments assess students using long-form written coursework (e.g. essays, reports, projects and dissertations).
In order to make you aware of how to write assignments that meet the expected level at Lancaster, some of the areas we cover on Study Start are:
- analyzing assignment titles
- structuring assignments
- reading techniques
- incorporating sources into writing
- appropriate referencing and citation techniques
- understanding plagiarism
- effective summarizing and paraphrasing
- critical thinking and persuasive argumentation
- academic style including hedging
You will apply these techniques in an assessed assignment. In doing so, you will be supported by your tutors in class as well as in individual tutorials. You will also learn more about how to take part in seminar discussions and give oral presentations at Lancaster University.